15 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

Headed out Sunday for DV and ? I had lots of time or so I thought. Made it to Bridgeport to watch the Niners game. Then off to either of the spots Ted had suggested. I really wanted Ted's Dunderberg spot but wasn't sure if I could get there in the dark. Finally made those off road lights payoff. A bit cold up there and I think that'll be the last time anyone goes there until Spring. The view is stupendous. The sun coming up was worth an attempt even with my cellphone camera. 

IMAG0218_zps32147bb7.jpg

Then on to the Alabama Hills. Even this time of year it was crawling with people. I participated in the local Ham Radio nightly meeting. They turned out later to be a great resource.

IMAG0222_zps22cd4229.jpg

This rig was a foreign couple but I was too slow to get their attention. Can't tell here but it was an interesting rig. 

IMAG0223_zpsf200ddab.jpg

The next day it was time to finally go see Saline. I went in South Pass. No one ever mentioned the forest of cactus.

IMAG0224_zps93505352.jpg

It was rough and all of four hours but never needed 4wd. Spent two days at the springs, hiked up to see the warm springs but mostly just relaxed.

IMAG0228_zps2fc152a9.jpg

It was time to head out and as it was that was the end of the nice weather. After talking with people who'd come in North Pass I decided I'd take that way out. That would put me in a better position for seeing more of DV. Even with the grading it wasn't much shorter time wise. Easier yes except for crossing the washes. The first big washout was all my truck could do. I was sweating it when the back started to slide out on me. Two more washes I'd not have been able to make it without 4wd. The graders still have a long way to go. Doubt they'll make it by Tday. Started snowing on the way out, made an interesting contrast with the earlier warmth at the springs.

IMAG0229_zpsf3ef5f32.jpg

IMAG0230_zps8904ccb3.jpg

They're going to need the Dozer for the big wash but its still sitting there at the Eureka Valley road intersection.

IMAG0231_zps1a8d6297.jpg

Went down the Eureka road without seeing another soul until I hit the main road. Anyone know what was mined here?

IMAG0232_zpsd6905a0c.jpg

Random cactus shot.

IMAG0233_zps7d9e9d57.jpg

Visited all the must see stuff, Scottys Castle, Ubehebe Crater, Badwater. I opted not to go down racetrack, by this time I had my fill of dirt roads (never thought I'd say that) plus it was raining and windy.

IMAG0234_zpsbede2e6d.jpg

It was dark and I was hungry by the time I hit Stovepipe Wells so I gritted my teeth and camped there. Not that I minded being able to watch Thursday night football :). It rained all night, the wind howling. It was blowing so hard in the morning I had a real issue just getting the top down. I'm sure it was an amusing sight for anyone watching. It didn't take long before I hit the chain controls and some minor rock slides on the way out. My new tires worked well in the snow. I stopped at the scenic overlook named for Padre something or other. The wind roaring in the canyon made a truly eerie, almost spooky noise.

I still wasn't sure where to go, head up 395 or head down 395 and swing over to the valley. Two things made up my mind, a forecast for Socal that just barely came in on my ham radio and a phone call from my boss telling me I have to work Monday. It was slow going most of the way back, chain controls almost continuously from Lone Pine to about half way between mammoth and Lee Vining. I was still looking for one more night of camping but not much was open. I finally found a spot off Hiway 88 but when I tried to pop the top ice had frozen it closed. I could have chipped it off but I wasn't really ready for winter camping yet. I had the gear just not the motivation, not when I'm almost home. Besides the winds were still howling and it was cccold. Many trees down from the winds. I've never felt winds like that driving down 50. Just about 1100 miles on this trip. 

Oh, almost forgot the ham thing. I had very good access to the repeater on Mazourka Peak from Saline Valley. Not full quieting but pretty good enough to carry on a few conversations. Its after 8pm, my phone rings. Very bizarre. Whatever atmospheric anomaly let that call in lasted only long enough to see it was from my brother. Got back up, called on 146.760 and had one of the guys place a call for me. Made me sleep much better. All those Owens Valley hams were very friendly. Well I think thats it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for the story and the pics, Craig.  I always like stuff about Saline and DV.  I've spent a few wintry days and nights there myownself. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

Nice loop around Death Valley! We figure it is a treat to get rain and snow in Death Valley and boy can the wind blow. Thanks for the photos and story!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

A good report on a nice trip indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for giving us a little insight on DV conditions, Craig.  1100 miles, whew!  That was a good tour.

We're familiar with Saline Valley and North Pass.  Always fun to drive past those Road Closed signs  :D

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

There were two graders (not the ones working the road) and the dozer sitting there, if they really wanted to block the road they could easily. I wonder if there was enough rain to make it difficult for those still at the springs to make it out. There were new washout signs at the entrance to the south pass road and the road to Trona was closed with signs warning of flash floods.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Pretty hairy weather.Sure was a different storm here on the coast.

Nice TR and photos.

Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Interesting about the ice freezing the camper closed. That's something I can imagine happening to us that I hadn't thought of before. Sounds like a good trip with a variety of experiences. Thanks!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Craig, that forest of cactus is actually Joshua Trees on Lee Flat. Many are over 20 ft. tall and some are rumored to be 30 ft. One of the more impressive sights that few know about.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

The Joshua trees are so cool to see while driving down the road.

We saw loads of them up on Walker Pass and also at Red Rocks Canyon SP.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6304.jpg

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users