#11 menoco

menoco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:38 PM

hard to believe, but there's still a place on earth w/o a Walmart. I've looked, even under all our snow and no Wally World. Probably why god gave us amazon. also, FWC has one for just $12, and I'll follow your suggestion and switch out thermostat.

Now back to the refrig.

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

Armando, the draw on DC is likely the issue with low battery. I run my propane when on the road.i think it has blown out only once.

Andy,how do you keep the flame from going out while driving down the road?I tried it this last trip and couldn't keep it lit while traveling hwy speeds.

I even made a small shield around the burner area but no luck.I would like to not run the fridge on DC down the road if at all possible.

Thanks

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:37 AM

Frank, we don't have any issues keeping the fridge lit in the Airstream and in the Caribou. I wonder if the smaller fridge, with two vents is the difference. I think I would try blocking one to see if that would help.

Just remember to turn it off before getting fuel.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 11 December 2013 - 01:38 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:38 AM

Andy,how do you keep the flame from going out while driving down the road?I tried it this last trip and couldn't keep it lit while traveling hwy speeds.

I even made a small shield around the burner area but no luck.I would like to not run the fridge on DC down the road if at all possible.

Thanks

Frank

I don't do anything special.  I shut the inspection port and leave the fridge on propane.   I believe a number of other members do the same.   The DC option would be nice, but it's not efficient with the NorCold.  When our fridge goes south, I'll be looking at an Engel or similar compressor option.   My main complaint with the 3-way is the tendency to freeze our veggies.  On our last cold weather trip (25F), even setting the fridge on low caused our lettuce to freeze. :(  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#15 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Mine hasn't blown out either.  This fridge is better than the one I had in a hardside.  It would blow out once in a while when a semi would go by. FWIW when I was having starting issues, the flame was going out a lot while traveling.  After I cleaned it, it stayed lit even when driving with a decent wind outside.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#16 leadsled9

leadsled9

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationLivermore, CA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

My 3-way used to blow out every now and then while driving.  Here's the fix:

http://www.wanderthe...ator +relighter

Since then I've switched to a dc fridge....no more cleaning the vents....no more freezing vegies...no more problems getting cold enough when it's over 100 degrees....no more constant monitoring every day (several times a day) to keep at proper temperature....no more having to be perfectly level to work....no more having to turn off and then relight for fuel stops....etc.

2010 Ford F250 4X4; 6.4 Powerstroke Diesel; Warn 16.5 winch; Airlift Springs; Transfer Flow 47 gal. fuel tank, BDS 4" lift kit, BDS dual steering stabilizer with upgraded Fox 2.0 shocks, Toyo 35X12.50X18 Open Country M/T tires, Pro Comp wheels;  2008 FWC Hawk Camper;  2000 Toyota Tundra.

#17 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

I don't do anything special.  I shut the inspection port and leave the fridge on propane.   I believe a number of other members do the same.   The DC option would be nice, but it's not efficient with the NorCold.  When our fridge goes south, I'll be looking at an Engel or similar compressor option.   My main complaint with the 3-way is the tendency to freeze our veggies.  On our last cold weather trip (25F), even setting the fridge on low caused our lettuce to freeze. :(  

Thanks Andy.Freezing isn't a problem as we use it as a freezer and keep a Truckfridge,like Ski's in the back of the truck cab.

I did notice on our last trip that the lower door was bent at the latch area. I fixed that with a strip of 1/8 aluminum pop riveted along the bottom to make it stiffer.

Haven't had a chance to see if this takes care of the problem.

My fridge is a 3 way.I do run it on DC for some part of driving,but usually turn it off at last gas stop before camp so that the battery gets a good charge.

Thanks Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#18 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

meneco, I found it very simple to disassemble the burner tube and give it a good cleaning.  A couple screwdrivers, end wrenches for gas line fittings, and a small wire brush are the tools needed.  My Norcold quit lighting after 8 or 9 years, and after I cleaned it, it lights easier than I ever remembered.  There are slits cut into the burner tube where the gas exits and where the flame is.  On mine, these slits were completely plugged with black crusty build-up.  I picked it clean and shined it up with a wire brush.  I didn't take pics, but I'm sure if you ran into questions you could post here with pics, and folks on this forum will walk you through it.  Go for it!

Those DC units are the way to go, but they are pricey.

I also drive with propane on.  Never had a flame-out.

Edited by AK Nomad, 11 December 2013 - 04:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: norcold model 323, igniting propane refrig, propane refrigerator, hawk, hawk 2002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users