• Please log in to reply
1694 replies to this topic

#31 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

I've got two nice close-ups below.  Admittedly, I'm cheating a bit, as they are being held by Hawk Watch International Staff after banding on Bonnie Butte, SE of Mt. Hood in Oregon.  Hawk Watch has been counting migratory birds of prey on Mt. Hood for 20 years.  They set up on the Butte 6 miles SE of Mt. Hood in late August and stay until late October or so.  Counts can range from 2,500 up to 4,500 birds across 18 species.  They also net and band a percentage each year.  My wife and I have been going up for years, as it's also a good opportunity for some fall camping before the snow flies.  A nice primitive campground is near by and the views from Bonnie Butte are great.  The road is a bit rough, not recommended for trailers, but not a problem for any vehicle with good clearance, particularly if it's dry.  First one is a Red Tail, followed by a Coopers Hawk.

When the public is on hand, they sometimes bring the birds they recently banded down the ridge from the banding station for viewing just before release.  It's very educational, particularly for kids, to see these beautiful creatures up close before being released back to the wild. 

Hawk Watch runs a similar migratory bird count on Goshutes Mountain in Nevada that can yield even higher volumes of birds.

Attached Files

Edited by TGK, 28 January 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#32 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Here are a few more...but I'm going back when I first got my DSLR.  There were shot with a 40D and 55-250mm.

The cool things that one see's while fishing....

Osprey...

p63849703-4.jpg

p100342627-4.jpg

Cedar Waxwing...

p370746846-4.jpg

Coons!

p227946267-4.jpg

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#33 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

Nice silhouettes, Park!

Riverrunner:  You are on the right path.  I love the 70-200 f4, and swear I can recognize the wonderful color and pop of that lens.

My custom setting:  C1 on my 7D is 1/1000s, f5.6 (max for my 400mm), and iso 400.   If I can kick up the shutter speed in good light, I do it with the control wheel right by the shutter button.  

Your 50D has options for C1 and C2.  Just figure out your best wildlife/birding settings and set them up, then use the menu to 'register the settings'.  Voila! A quick twist of the knob and you are dialed in.   I find this to be pretty handy when an opportunity presents itself and I have a short amount of time to react.

Yes I love that 70-200!  I wish all of my lenses would take photo's like that one! I'll look into using those presets too.  Lots too learn!  :) 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#34 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Any of you are interested in going to Winnemucca Nevada, every year they have “Shooting The West” photography symposium that I have attended for years.   Attached is a link to their web page for more information. 

http://www.shootingthewest.org/

Been busy with catching up here and looking forward to adding a couple images when time allows.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#35 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

I like ravens.

DV-nov-08-042-web.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#36 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Nice, nice image of the raven!   I like corvids as well, they are so blasted intelligent.  

Here's a link to a shot, and a shameless plug that I posted on ExPo.    The plug is for Oregon Water Watch, a conservation group that works to preserve in-stream water flows for all parties, including consumptive users, recreational users and wildlife.   For any of you folks that like to fish, or that farm and need water, Oregon Water Watch is a balanced environmental group to work with.   

Here's another image of ravens appearing to show affection for one another.   It was truly a romantic setting.   There had been a windstorm at Furnace Creek, and the lids on all the dumpsters were blown open.  Our two canoodling corvids perched on the edge after finishing their fine dining experience, then began to preen one another.   Humor aside, it was really interesting to watch their behavior.

6973728587_6c79b5042a_c.jpg

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 30 January 2014 - 01:20 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#37 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Coyote (Canis latrans)

6708720287_a90a35d7f0_z.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#38 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Very nice shot of the 'ote, Mr. Sage! We were serenaded Saturday evening.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#39 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Very nice shot of the 'ote, Mr. Sage! We were serenaded Saturday evening.

Thank you sir!  Nothing like the serenade of a song dog to help one sleep.

This is a bit of a sad photo for me.   This is Sally (All the female coyotes at Ridgefield NWR are named Sally), and this past year, the refuge brought in a small herd of Columbian white-tailed deer.  In order to boost survival rates of the deer, they shot thirteen or fourteen of the coyotes that we had been following for years.   I usually agree with a lot of the decisions that the refuge management have made over the years, but this did not seem wise.

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 03 February 2014 - 12:53 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#40 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

"This is a bit of a sad photo for me. "

To quote the Chili Peppers (amazing they were part of the SB halftime show today),

True Men don't kill coyotes!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users