12 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Apologies if you have already read the 35 reply long thread  Wire shorts at the front lift panel.

I was not aware that FWC campers appear to have a wiring failure that has been reported by a number of users.

I read that they have changed the design since late 2012, but if you are older, you may want to check it out.  

I only became aware that I had a problem during the course of installing a solar system on our Hawk.

Yikes!

2014-02-05%2021.56.05-L.jpg

The photo doesn't show the completely broken black wire (which caused me heartburn when my solar panel showed 0 volts this morning on my first chance to try out the new solar system)

The wires are red/black= solar prewire #12 (only) and yellow/black (fan and maybe ceiling lights?)

A few shots of the solar install for those junkies:

What's behind the lift panel:

2014-02-05%2022.19.53-L.jpg

Note:  I put a quick yellow coupler on the black wire, so I can test my solar tomorrow.

I intend to replace the wiring at the hing section with something more flexible and along the lines of what Ski sketched out

http://www.wanderthe...attach_id=15477

RV roof plug- I will be putting a jacket of some sort to over the #10 red/black wires and pull it down low.  The sealant is 3M below-deck grade adhesive/sealant.   If you contact FWC with your serial number they will tell you where the wires are below the roof deck.  I measured twice!  And then I had to fish around for a sweaty five minutes using a wire hook until I found the wires. Whew!

2014-02-05%2022.33.19-M.jpg

Morningstar MPPT Sunsaver controller with (from right to left) remote sensor (phone wire), RJ-11 Remote meter wire, battery #10 tray cable red/black, factory solar prewire #12 red/black

2014-02-05%2021.47.07-L.jpg

25amp inline fuse by Blue Sea connected to positive terminal, 15 amp inline fuse for charging station, battery cable and remote sensor (on negative terminal).

2014-02-05%2021.48.33-L.jpg

Edited by Lighthawk, 06 February 2014 - 08:34 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've seen those wires behind my lift panel but had/have no idea where they go as I don't have anything on the roof and mines a 2001 Eagle.  Did they even have solar back then?

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

kc, There are wires for the lights and fan behind the lift panel, even if you don't have wiring for solar. How many wires do you see back there?

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Front or rear lift panel?

#5 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:54 PM

This is how the wires are run into the ceiling on my 2014 Fleet.  The wire loom is duct taped to the front lift panel allowing the wire to twist freely inside.  Unfortunately there is a section in the middle (not pictured) that the loom stops, only the wire is taped then goes back into the loom which is taped.  

Wires run loose behind carpet  behind carpet1.jpg

Exiting carpet into loom going behind lift panel  out of carpet2.jpg

Duct taped loom behind lift panel   behind panel3.jpg    

Into ceiling     into ceiling8.png

Cheers

Edited by Captm, 06 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#6 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Ceiling box under lift panel, the red and black wires are for Solar. The yellow is positive for lights (2) and Fans (2), black is ground.  Punch/drill/cut thru the hole in the box to allow wires to exit for the solar panel.

I used a waterproof fitting on the roof above the hole http://www.newmarpow...Dex_Series.html

ceiling box1.jpg

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

Scotch locks, ugh. Easy but problem prone. I hope FWC is doing better on wiring on the new campers. Its really the only gripe I have with FWC.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:03 AM

I want to install an overhead light, similar to the interior lights FWC uses, over my bed area, so when laying down I have a good reading light. I have the pre-wire for solar (black/red) behind the push up panel which extends to the battery compartment. Question: Can I use this (solar) pre-wire to wire a light over the bed? Then make the connections at the battery.  I just need to run the black/red wire a few feet through the roof rafters toward the front.  

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

I want to install an overhead light, similar to the interior lights FWC uses, over my bed area, so when laying down I have a good reading light. I have the pre-wire for solar (black/red) behind the push up panel which extends to the battery compartment. Question: Can I use this (solar) pre-wire to wire a light over the bed? Then make the connections at the battery.  I just need to run the black/red wire a few feet through the roof rafters toward the front.  

Will work, but go to your fuse box not the battery. If you add solar later you would have to undo.

Bill

#10 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply.  I should have added, I have a portable solar hook up which I'm very pleased with.  That said, I have no other use for the installed pre-wire FWC solar wire at this time.  Wanting to put it (wire), to good use and I thought since I read a lot at night, a reading light over my sleeping area is a good thing....So, I can do this?...and just tap into the black/red wire onto the +/- battery to get my 12V power to the new installed light... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users