29 replies to this topic

#1 WAND3R3R

WAND3R3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

This road-trip I am going it without refrigeration. I, like many of you, have a travel fridge, a National Luna in my case, and I have a nice cooler…. but during these wanderings I have decided to go with no food requiring refrigeration. Does anyone else go with no "refrigeration?" I posted a list of foods with photographs I am eating this trip, if anyone has other ideas please let me know. I don't have any canned goods in this list, trying to see what else, other than canned, people recommend!

http://www.apocketfu...n-required.html

-Thanks, AK

WAND3R3R

www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

#2 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

We go 9 day backpack trips without a refrigerator,  I guess you can camp in a camper without one too. 

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,318 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

We go 9 day backpack trips without a refrigerator,  I guess you can camp in a camper without one too. 

x2

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

I've done week-long trips across Nevada w/o ice or a fridge. Won't ever happen when my wife is along. I've been set straight on that count - and she does back-pack where my knees won't take it. I think that the thing that I've missed the most was cheese.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:54 PM

You have an excellent list.

Here's some others that could be "marginally" associated with healthy living.

Breads, cakes, cupcakes, and crackers, homemade or otherwise.

You didn't mention a "ban" on jars (plastic or glass), so, Peanut Butter, although a "can" connection could be made.

Aseptic packaged items in little packets like mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickle relish, fresh onions, small cream cups for coffee, it is amazing how many things are now being produced this way.

Small, 1/2 ounce, table jelly tubs that you can find at chain restaurants.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

No cold beer? 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

You mention adding dehydrated vegetables to stir fries. Do you need to rehydrate first, or do you just add a bit of water while cooking? Looking at the product it says to add 2 parts water and cook for 15 minutes.

#8 WAND3R3R

WAND3R3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCentral Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

Rob in MT, I usually re-hydrate the veggies in a bowl with water first then add to soup or stir-fry but you can add directly to the pan as you cook.  You just need to watch as you go, if you need more water as you cook just add more.  I find that I can "wing-it" pretty well on most dishes!  

Craig333, I do love a cold beverage like everyone else, but gave up beer years ago!

Alley-Kat, thanks for the suggestions!  I know my "canned-ban" is kinda schizophrenic, I'm not against cans but I know that lots of canned goods are full of salt etc…. 

NTSQD, PVSToy and Ski3pin, thanks for commenting!

-AK

WAND3R3R

www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com

#9 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

Oh, I forgot cookies (chocolate chip, yum), and fresh veggies. You can cover the fresh veggies with a light kitchen towel and moisten the towel with a few drops of water every now and then, if not in direct sunlight, the evaporation will cause a natural cooling effect to keep them fresh. Zucchini and other squash types work well, not to mention carrots.

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:29 AM

Good list. I ran across this a while back- seems like a good resource:

http://www.bethandev...frigeration.pdf

We have done many week or longer canoe trips in the BWCA carrying all our food- obviously without a fridge. We tend to forget that humanity lived for maybe a million years without refrigeration. Even forgoing hunting and foraging, it is easily possible to live without it. It helps to have a healthy food industry to make products such as you have posted. All that being said, we love our fridge!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users