29 replies to this topic

#21 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

One aspect of non-refrigerated or dry or freeze dried foods that should be mentioned - and we, of course, have learned the hard way - is to try recipes and taste out before you hit the trail. We need to add the calories and fuel back into our systems at dinner time. Hardly anything worse then finding out a meal tastes like...........................when you really need to eat. 

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#22 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

We tried a new non-refrigerated meal tonight: Knorr's Pasta Sides - Parmesan Fettuccini+Spinace Pasta in Parmesan sauce and rate it 5 stars in the non-refrigerated category.  We heated 1-3/4 cups water, 2 tbs dried milk, 1 tbs canola or olive oil to a boil (slightly altered from package), stirred in the package and boiled for 7 minutes (on package), let stand 2 minutes (on package), light simmer for 2 minutes to dry up excess water (not on package).  If you cook without a lid or have a more rapid boil then more water at the beginning (on package) may be needed or the 2 minute light simmer to remove excess water at the end may not be needed.  We plan to add one small drained can of chicken while camping but just had the Pasta Side alone tonight and enjoyed it.  

#23 Hobart78

Hobart78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCottonwood, CA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:12 PM

I dehydrate left over meals from home then package them in the wax paper bags from cereal boxes. I store these in the freezer till needed. Great for all types of camping. Just add hot water to the bag. Refrigeration not needed when camping. Only used them for back packing trips so far. I make one person servings that only need one cup of hot water. The meals in the bags roll up to a small size for space saving storage.
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500. 2014 FWC Hawk.

#24 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

I can't think of being in a FWC without some type of ice/refrigeration.  We bought one of those extreme coolers and it'll keep ice for 4 days or so if you don't open/close it much in 90 degrees.  How are you going to have cold beer, G&T's, etc.? 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#25 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:30 AM

Our latest good no refrigeration food:  Walmart brand Blueberry Pancake mix, just add water.  The dried blueberries rehydrate well with a strong blueberry taste.  Our modifications to the box directions: 1/4 cup blueberry mix+2 tsp cooking oil+3 tsp dried milk+water to make a thick batter.  We carry a 12" round stove griddle which we lightly oil and sweeten the cooked pancakes with either honey or a jelly packet (Amazon). 

#26 escadventure

escadventure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

This is our go-to source of sustainable food.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com

My wife (whom is classify as a wiz at back-country cooking) uses a wide variety of their products to augment our meals. That way our supply lasts a long time. She''ll combine the dried food with fresh fruit/veggies (which can last a week or two without fridge).

I always enjoy the healthy and tasty meals she whips up.

#27 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

I always take along dehydrated foods, packets of salsa, zip-lock baggies with spices, non-fat powder milk, coco and whole grain bread or rice cakes.... 

#28 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:20 PM

I didn't see any oatmeal on your list.  Seems like a natural choice.

#29 imix

imix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

When it comes to no refridgeration in the outdoors, I keep it real. Real 1700's.

#30 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

I've done week-long trips across Nevada w/o ice or a fridge. Won't ever happen when my wife is along. I've been set straight on that count - and she does back-pack where my knees won't take it. I think that the thing that I've missed the most was cheese.

Babybel and Laughing Cow can satisfy the cheese cravings and survive many days without refrigeration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users