Photo

Incremental conversion? Where to start...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lblau

lblau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

I'm thinking about moving from occasional tent camping out of my prius to longer trips around the country (up to a couple of months) and I'm pondering moving to a camping van (or maybe truck). 

Since I haven't done this before, I've thought the best way might be to start with a minimal conversion and then learn on the road what additional amenities I might want.

Do you think this is a practical approach? I don't own a van, so would purchase a new or used cargo or mini van to start. I was thinking if it turns out I don't enjoy it, then it would be easier to sell a minimally converted van, than a pickup and a camper shell. Also, I feel like a van conversion would be less obviously a camper which would be useful for times when in cities or other non-campground locations.

here's a description of how it will be used:

1 person traveling

1 bicycle that I would like to carry/store inside if at all possible

will use showers/restrooms in campgrounds or community centers, etc. 

working on laptop up to 8 hrs on non-travel work days (could require continuous internet connection during work periods), other days intermittent internet is fine.

spring/summer/fall weather travel only, nothing below 40.

will be able to afford to stay in a motel occasionally.

3-6 day stays in a location with 1-3 days travel between. (no problem setting up a tent and/or bug house for the longer stays, but don't want to have to do it every night when on the move)

Exploring both small city and rural environments

After some reading and thought, here's what I think I need/want to start out:

Ventilation and insulation (can I get by without an a/c?)

Ability to stand upright,change clothes, stretch, etc.

Power for laptop, lights, electric kettle, (fridge)?. solar? what other options?

Some sort of seat/desk for working, reading, etc

Option to sleep comfortably in vehicle without exiting. (so, if a pop-up, also room to sleep with it closed.)

To start I'll only be carrying/cooling a small amount of food  (yogurt,salad greens,cheese, fruit), but I don't think I want to deal with ice..

convenient storage for clothes, bike gear, etc.

Security/privacy

I already own from tent camping:

a 2 burner propane camping stove (and a kelly kettle for fairly quick water boiling)

camping pad and sleeping bag

very small tent 

bug house (but not one that is easy for me to put up myself)

rolling cooler (but not very high quality..ice melts quickly)

folding 5 gallon water container with spigot

thoughts, ideas? Does it make sense to have some minimal conversion done to a van and then incrementally add complexity as I go? Are the initial items things that I can get done fairly easily by any 'van conversion' place or do I need to find someone who specifically does camping conversions?

Are there things I'm leaving out of the minimal requirements that you think I'm crazy to not include?

Thanks

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Years ago at the Sea Otter I saw a set-up like what you're looking for. Caught my eye because he was showing off the turbo GLH engine and 5 spd trans that he'd transplanted into the lowered and cornering set-up Mopar panel/delivery van.The guy had built a sleeping platform in the rear along the driver's side and his DH and CC MTB's parked nose to tail next to the platform. Plenty of storage under the platform. His was in milk crate-like crates.

Don't know if he cooked inside or not, but I've done it inside '79 Suburban by flipping down the single width rear seat to use it's steel back to set the stove on. In bear country cooking inside isn't a good plan. Having cooked inside in the past, and then going into bear country also isn't a good plan.

From your power consumption plans I think a second battery with appropriate battery separator will be required.

There is an old thread on Expo where a guy lived in an old U-Haul truck that he had converted the box into living quarters. It may be a victim of their supposed server crash, so it may not be there any more. I forget the term used, but it is essentially "boondocking" in urban settings. Searching that term, whatever it is, will probably yield more info than you can process.

Edited by ntsqd, 17 March 2014 - 03:28 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Rick NV

Rick NV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

If your insisting on having a van that you can stand up in your probably going to be looking at a tall roof Sprinter.  I don't think stealthy boon docking in urban areas would work well with a pop-up roof.  I would look at outsidevan to get ideas for layouts and I would think that two roof vents and insulation would be the first must have items.  maybe you could rent a road trek or similar small class B and see if you like the life style before you buy something.  The Sprinter just came out with a new smaller 4 cyl engine that gets over 20 in the city that is very economical-  they are hard to find used in good shape-  good luck.

#4 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:25 AM

Do a internet search on ,  DIY van conversion, or van living. There will be more blogs and youtube videos than you could shake a stick at.

#5 Accrete

Accrete

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationExploring the western, USA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

Greetings, 
The "Incremental conversion" is along the lines of what my wife and i did with our van conversion.

I have a build thread over at the sportsmobile forums if you are interested in how we pulled it off. (link to build thread).

Ours is based on a soon-to-be history chevy AWD 1500 cargo van (i've read elsewhere that GM will no longer make these AWD's).

Anywhoo...over about two years we slowly built ours up from empty stock cargo van to a comfortably-capable adventure home.

A poster mentioned Outside vans...they are a great company if you are on the west coast (we had their sister company Van Specialties in Portland Oregon do some of ours).

There was also a mention of "stealth" . . . Well... our's ain't! It attracts quite a lot of attention wherever it goes :) but it's all fun.

Best wishes on your build.

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

Thom

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon USA
2010 Chevy Express AWD Light Overland Vehicle
"You don't have to understand here, to be here." Charlie Crews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users