Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

I've recently been researching satellite communication devices online and looked here on the forum, but only found one reference to the inReach device in an old thread on the SPOT messenger.

I'm including some general background on the device and my thoughts below and would be interested if anyone else has experience with inReach.

http://www.inreachde...o/inreachse.php

I usually travel & camp alone, more out of necessity than choice. Frequently I'm too far in the boondocks for cell phone service. I thought it would be wise to be able to send for help in an emergency or contract for service in case of a breakdown. I was nearly in a sticky situation last summer and realized I was a bit vulnerable as an older man who might not be able to extricate himself without assistance or might take a fall and need medical help.

The inReach device is attractive to me for a few reasons, 1) it is 2-way, so can receive text messages, not just send them (unlike the SPOT); 2) the "Safety" subscription is their lowest priced plan and seems pretty reasonable; and 3) it syncs with a phone app (iOS or Android) for easier messaging and also for maps - you get free topo maps you can download and track yourself on.

And in a real emergency, having two-way communications with the GEOS team to describe the exact problem, needs, and location beyond plain GPS coordinates seems like a very valuable feature!

The device uses the Iridium satellite constellation, so service is available anywhere in the world where there is a view of the sky. The GEOS emergency response team is available 24/7.

Starting on March 25, 2014 they will begin offering their Freedom plan that doesn't require an annual subscription, though it does have an annual fee. The monthly fee is a bit higher, but as I'd only need it for about half a year, it would save me money even after paying the annual fee. Folks who camp year around would be better served with the annual subscription plans.

With the new plan, and revised annual plans, you can now send unlimited Preset Messages. Looks like you can only preprogram 3 such messages, but to a group of recipients, if desired. Somewhat limiting, but ideal for leaving GPS breadcrumbs while traveling and a feature I'd use frequently. The Safety Plan also gives you 10 messages (sent or received) of 160 characters you can compose at need, with additional messages for 50 cents each if you exceed your monthly allowance. The more expensive plans provide many more messages and also unlimited tracking points and pings, and social media hooks, which is not something I'm really interested in.

The inReach devices got better reviews on both REI and Amazon sites, than SPOT. Plus, on the negative reviews on Amazon, an inReach employee replied with info to help the reviewer, info on new updates which solved the reviewer's issues and offers to help - that sounds like they want to keep customers happy (and yes, sell a few more units, which is not a mutually exclusive goal.)

I would likely get their newer inReach SE device. It costs a bit more, but has its own display screen so is free-standing - all features are available on the device, whereas the lower priced unit must be used in conjunction with a phone or tablet (though you can send a SOS even if your phone is down). 

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#2 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

If you go for the inReach, be sure to give us a review after using it. See if you can convince me to not renew my SPOT subscription at the end of the year.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#3 BluesideUp

BluesideUp

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationMiami Springs Fl.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for your lead on this.

I have been trying to figure out how to address this issue and had looked at Spot but it did not have all the features that I was interested in such as maps

#4 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

I should have posted back to this topic now that I've used the inReach SE for a couple of months.

I'm very happy with the unit and the peace of mind it affords.

One of the features I use the most is the unlimited Preset Messages, which I call "breadcrumbs". I have three preprogrammed; one for traveling, one for hiking, and one for when I've set up camp. I have friends and family who are interested in receiving those by email and I can keep them posted in real time where I am and that I'm OK. The messages include a vector, so if you're moving the icon showing your position on the linked map your recipients get shows an arrowhead pointed in the direction of travel. The maps in those links are excellent and the location is spot on. Recipients can reply directly from the linked map.

I've only used the custom 2-way text messages a couple of times and they work very well, too. If a message comes in a green LED on the unit blinks.

Generally transmissions go out fairly quickly. If your unit has been on and you're in the open; within 30 seconds. If you are in heavy trees or a narrow canyon, the unit will keep trying until a satellite is found overhead, so that may be many minutes. A red LED periodically blinks on the unit until the message is transmitted (you also get a tone when it is sent, but only once.) If I'm driving I set the unit on the dash so it can find the satellites easier.

The display is small, but serviceable. I have the companion app on my iPhone. You can download topo maps to the app and then connect via bluetooth to the device and see where you are. The only "fault" with this is that if you've been using the unit stand-alone and then connect to the app, the messages are passed to the app (which is good), but their original timestamps are not preserved, but stamped to when they were transferred to the phone (which is bad.) I'm now reminded I wanted to pass that along to DeLorme as feedback.

Battery life is very good, maybe not quite as good as they advertise if you leave it on all the time. It doesn't come with a 12v plug, but the AC charger is similar to some others in that the cord from the unit has a USB connection, so it can be charged from a computer or if you have a new vehicle with USB jacks. My truck cab has a USB jack and in the camper I used one of those cheap cigarette lighter to USB adapters.

DeLorme has a new model similar to the SE, but has more internal mapping capability like a stand-alone GPS device. I've not seen one in person and the map on the picture I saw was kind of small and not very detailed. If you plan to use it exclusively for hiking, I'd suggest doing some additional research. As I already have a nice Garmin GPS, I don't miss that extra functionality, though it would be nice to only carry one device instead of two.

If I think of something else I'll edit this reply that was first posted on 6-21-14.

[update 1] If you are going to text very much, then you'll want the companion app so as to have a "real" keyboard rather than the arrows & enter buttons of the SE. It is not a touch screen. The less expensive version with no screen will require a paired app.

The app runs on my iPad, too, but the device can only pair to one thing at a time. So you'd have to pair every time you switched, which is inconvenient.

[update 2] I also joined GEOS Alliance: http://www.geosallia...rch-and-rescue/

This also applies to those using the SPOT device.

The $18 annual membership entitles you to this benefit:

For additional necessary and reasonable search and rescue (SAR) expenses (including helicopter with prior approval from the GEOS IERCC), up to US$100,000 per subscriber in any 12 month period with a limit of US$50,000 for any one claim by a member who summons emergency (911/SOS) assistance as a result of an accident or other life threatening circumstance by activating their GEOS-approved device.

[update 3: 7/1/14] Edited the original text to reflect the following: if there is an error message or if the unit is waiting to send a message, the LED blinks red; if a new message comes in, the LED blinks green.

Edited by Bosque Bill, 01 July 2014 - 11:34 PM.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

#5 SorryDangDog

SorryDangDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thank you for your very informative review, I learned a lot from it.  Ironically, I had just ordered one even w/o all that knowledge and have not even received it yet.  Looking forward to using it and I will be trying to figure out whether to go with an Annual Plan or Freedom Plan. Freedom Plan makes more sense but I would like to have it ready to use, at a moments notice  ... I will also be using it while kayak fishing in the Everglades back country, where there is no cell phone coverage at all.  I joined this forum, as I will be purchasing a pop-up camper & truck as soon as I can work everything out. 

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

A lot more options now than when I got my spot. Its getting tougher to decide whats best. Gotta love it when you get some real competition.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

I have been thinking about dropping my old Spot for something different and I think you have gave me the extra shove I needed

#8 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

The inReach SE is not perfect, there are areas that need improvement, such as the user interface, but nothing else does as much as it does at near the price.

I received a text from a friend this last trip and used my paired phone to reply. It took a long time for the message to go out - I was not in an ideal location. It finally seemed to transmit, then later the screen lit up, but I didn't pay any attention at the time. The next morning there was a message saying it couldn't send my last message and I should try again or cancel. I clicked cancel as it wasn't important. When I got home I talked to my friend and he had indeed gotten my reply, so I don't know what that error message was other than a glitch.

#9 crazybill

crazybill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCaliente, CA.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

I have one and really like it. It is most useful paired to another device. It is very tedious typing a message with the on screen "keyboard" but when paired with my ipad it is very easy to use. I visit the Mojave National preserve often and go solo in some really isolated places.

I have not yet found a place that I could not get communication.

Some of the things I liked:

1. I can easily tell if a message has gone out, or if it has failed to go out. My spot couldn't really do this.

2. My family and friends can easily see where I am and see my track up to that point.

3.They can send me a message if necessary, and I can send personal messages or post them on my map/track page for everyone to see.

4. I can suspend the account during those months that are just too hot for desert travel. That saves a lot of charges.

5. Battery life is great. I have gone three days without charging it and still had 60% left. That is with turning it off at night.

Dislikes:

My plan only allows 40 free messages per month so I have to be careful who I allow to send me messages and I make sure they understand it. Plans are available for (of course) more money. 40 is enough for me.

Setup can take some time. Seems easy to start with but I learned more as I went along. Instructions were a bit lacking.

So far I am way happier  with the inreach than I was with my SPOT.

-Bill-

1991 Dodge W350 CTD SRW

1996 Dodge W3500 CTD DRW

#10 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I'll have to look at one of these units soon.  I'm in the market for a satellite phone to use on hunting and work related trips.  The spur kicking me in gear to buy one right now is a pregnant wife that is due on Sept 22 and the fact that I'll be gone on an elk hunt possible up to Sept. 13.  Thinking of the Iridium 9575 at this time.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users