Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:16 AM

<snip>

They did suggest that he test the SOS function with GEOS911 on his new unit. They sent him the attached document. I scheduled a check of my SOS function for Friday morning.

The scheduled test went off without a hitch. The dispatch center called when they received the SOS and we confirmed our emergency contacts. They suggested a yearly test. It was good practice in actually sending an SOS with our InReach.

The test is open to InReach, SPOT, and other devises with an SOS function.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#182 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

We just got a mini.  Tryingt o get it connected with the earthmate app.  Not sure if you have to subscribe first but will contact garmin as it states my account is locked on my phone when I try to login.  We won't activate it until we are ready to leave on a trip since there's a yearly fee.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#183 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:58 PM

The scheduled test went off without a hitch. The dispatch center called when they received the SOS and we confirmed our emergency contacts. They suggested a yearly test. It was good practice in actually sending an SOS with our InReach.

The test is open to InReach, SPOT, and other devises with an SOS function.

Good idea to do that test.  Some time ago it occurred to me that I should test the emergency transmitters (pendants) my elderly in-laws wear in their assisted-living facility.  I arranged a quick test with Security and learned that only one of the two worked... and that's at a facility I've grown to trust  :(

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#184 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:00 PM

We just got a mini.  Tryingt o get it connected with the earthmate app.  Not sure if you have to subscribe first but will contact garmin as it states my account is locked on my phone when I try to login.  We won't activate it until we are ready to leave on a trip since there's a yearly fee.

I'll be interested to see how you make out.  Documentation appears to read that Earthmate is included in the purchase of the Inreach and doesn't say a subscription is required (and therefore I'd think you could run Earthmate using your phone or tablet's GPS for position, if you wanted).  But Earthmate also needs to know you have that Inreach so I believe pairing is required for that.

I also know the Earthmate on my iPad very occasionally requires the Inreach within range when I start it up.  It makes sense it would want to validate that I have the Inreach but I'm not sure why it has only done that a time or two since I bought it.  Perhaps an update of the iPad or Inreach led to that.

This morning, for instance, I fired up Earthwatch to download maps for a trip next week.  I've not fired up the Inreach within range of the iPad recently (or did I??)  so thought it might want the Inreach.  But that wasn't the case. 

Edited by Old Crow, 12 August 2018 - 10:54 AM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#185 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

We just got an InReach Mini for checking in with loved ones, and for SOS emergencies. We'll probably use the preset messages the vast majority of the time, and use the least expensive plan ($12/mo). We have mountaineering friends who have been rescued (and helicoptered out). The way the InReach team communicated with them was really a positive experience.

Gaia is the best maps app, in my opinion. The InReach is not very good in comparison, which uses the phone "Earthmate" app from all I can tell so far. Gaia works great on iPads in the truck and on the phone. Gaia is a little expensive compared to most apps, but worth it if you want USGS maps or a whole array of other map choices (including Forest Service and National Park maps).

We also download areas on Google Maps app on the phone/tablet for areas that are out of cellular range. It's great for driving and can even do driving directions (but not walking, cycling, or transit directions) off line.

I also use my hiking GPS for yet another electronic map backup. But gradually just using the phone (poor battery life) and the GPS is used just for tracking our route (batteries last all day, can be replaced).

Geez, all these electronic gadgets! Lewis and Clark didn't have all these hassles.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#186 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

I had an Inreach sync problem today in trying to sync my Delorme Explorer from the Sync app on my MacOs laptop.  

When attempting to sync, the message "Server Error: Unable to authenticate.... (something-something)" (sorry, I didn't write it down but that's the gist of it). I tried quitting it and reloading but that one also failed to sync (with the same message).

I called in to Garmin and tech Garrett had me try logging out of the Sync app and back in.  When that didn't work, he had me delete the app, delete it from Trash, then download and install a new one.  That fixed the problem.

The one that failed was 1.4.13.2397, the new one 1.5.206846.  Firmware version on my Inreach is 2.16 (125024).

#187 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

I had an Inreach sync problem today in trying to sync my Delorme Explorer from the Sync app on my MacOs laptop.  

When attempting to sync, the message "Server Error: Unable to authenticate.... (something-something)" (sorry, I didn't write it down but that's the gist of it). I tried quitting it and reloading but that one also failed to sync (with the same message).

I called in to Garmin and tech Garrett had me try logging out of the Sync app and back in.  When that didn't work, he had me delete the app, delete it from Trash, then download and install a new one.  That fixed the problem.

The one that failed was 1.4.13.2397, the new one 1.5.206846.  Firmware version on my Inreach is 2.16 (125024).

I had a similar experience... same problem and cure.

I am haunted by waters

#188 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:50 PM

I had a similar experience... same problem and cure.

Same thing with me when I last synced.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users