Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#11 escadventure

escadventure

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

Excellent info. I've been thinking about one of these.

#12 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

We have the Explorer model with an annual Safety plan. It costs roughly $0.50/day for peace of mind. We take it hiking, paddling and camping. Have sent messages or emails occasionally, never used the SOS function--knock on wood! The navigation features are very weak compared to a Garmin handheld receiver, but when paired to a smartphone the downloaded topo maps are pretty good. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

As others have noted: there are lot's of things out there for the WTW type camper for that emergency:. Me I have my trusty Spot 2 GPS/emergency thingy and have worked out a system where my some friends to track my location and present status based on the possibilities given me by my Spot. I also pay the yearly fee to Spot so that if I do get in that real bad situation all I do is press the emergency button and help is on the way. So, I can't talk to others or ask for help from nearby travelers but I  could not afford a sat. phone or cb at the time and until I get my lap top hooked up (and join the gang )to a phone sat system (soon I hope). things have worked  okay for the last several years alone and WTWing , but again, I'm cheap :P !  Just one way-of the many-to be safe as conditions allow while out there :D !

smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:52 AM

We received our inReach Explorer today and are looking at the plans offered.  The website makes a specific reference to the plans being for individuals.  There seems to be nothing listed about spouses or family plans.  Is anyone else using the inReach to insure more than one person?  I'm guessing we need to set up a second account and link it to this device.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#15 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Lighthawk -  I believe you're referring to the GEOS search-and-rescue benefits offered as an add-on to the subscription to get the device working.   If so, take a look at http://www.geosallia...rch-and-rescue/ .  A family membership is available at the SAR50 level for an additional $16 per year for individuals living in the same household.

Your post (and the fact that I just bought an Inreach Explorer I've not activated yet) led me to read through the Terms and Conditions of the GEOS coverage.  The Exclusions list is particularly edifying.  I have a GEOS membership I bought with my gen-1 SPOT and don't think I ever took the time to consider the implications of those exclusions and notification requirements.

-OC

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#16 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

I bought an explorer last December. Overall I like it, the basics are reasonably easy (once you get it set up on your computer with their program). Fairly intuitive.
Wish more "notice" was given when a message comes IN, so it doesn't have to be baby sat/monitored for incoming messages.
The iPhone app making your phone ring (noise of some sort) would be VERY useful. (I'm not a techie, so consider it may be "there" but I can't find it.)
Overall though, good, and reasonable $$ for what it does - IF you spend time in boonies.

FWIW- Onstar service, and other similar vehicle services use cellular services for connectivity, even tho the name sounds satellite based.
For about the same $$ monthly (after initial purchase) you can have this "Panic Button" pretty much everywhere you go. In deep canyons with trees there is a delay, or failure, but standing the unit up (antenna aimed up) is what they recommend for best connectivity.

Edit.
DeLorme Inreach Explorer.
Placing this here ^ so the company's searches will pop up this thread, comments, and suggestions....

Edited by Freebird, 21 May 2015 - 11:40 PM.

#17 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:59 AM

Lighthawk -  I believe you're referring to the GEOS search-and-rescue benefits offered as an add-on to the subscription to get the device working.   If so, take a look at http://www.geosallia...rch-and-rescue/ .  A family membership is available at the SAR50 level for an additional $16 per year for individuals living in the same household.

-OC

Thanks OC and Freebird.   We're looking into the family plan on the link provided.  Thank you.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

We have Global Rescue for traveling,never had to use it. have the phone numbers linked to my ACR personal locating beacon also.  I'll look at GEOS also.

https://globalrescue.com/

Edited by pvstoy, 22 May 2015 - 03:46 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

Just remembered that global rescue is more for traveling out of the country like we do and does not cover the first 160 miles from your home.  Also interested in CalStar as a local service.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:36 AM

GEOS states you must be 99+ miles from home.  I've been too busy to dig through the fine print though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users