22 replies to this topic

#1 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:23 AM

We're interested in buying a pair of radios for personal use.  Probably don't need more than 10+ miles actual range, but would be interested in learning reasons to go for more.  Disclosure:  I have very little experience with radios and have never owned one.

I did a search on WTW and didn't see this discussed previously, or so google tells me.

I wonder if we could have a thread called :

Walkie Talkie Thread

Who is using FRS handheld radios out there? 

What system did you buy and what features do you like / dislike?

*edit- USB rechargeable preferred!

Thank you for anyone who can chime in.

:)

Edited by Lighthawk, 17 March 2014 - 04:26 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Conveniently your choices are FRS and GMRS. A little less convenient is cb, and even less so is ham - particularly the 2 meter & 440 bands. Of the 5 options, GRMS, and the two ham bands require a license and all but cb are FM radios.

FRS is the easiest, they're everywhere. They're inexpensive, require no license and the set of Motorola's on my desk have 22 channels with 121 "privacy codes" so a total of 2662 "channels" to use. The downside is that at .5W output their range is limited and line of sight only. I don't know what the published specs are, but experience with previous FRS radios says about 2 miles max in ideal circumstances. Per FCC regulation the antennas are permanently attached to the radio resulting in walkie-talkies being the only option, no mobiles or base stations.

GRMS radios are FRS radios on (weak) steroids. They have more power though I've no idea how much more. I've also no idea what is involved with the GMRS license, nor how well/often it's use is policed. I am under the impression that channels and privacy codes are much more limited than with the FRS. These have the same FCC antenna rule as the FRS. GMRS also share some, but not all of the FRS channels.

All of the ham rules apply to the ham bands. The entry level Technician license isn't that difficult to get, but it does take a little time. Online practice test here: http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ If you go down this path be prepared for a whole new hobby, as that is how everything ham is structured. Even if you just want a pair of HT's (ham-speak for Handy-Talkies, or "walkie-talkies") and don't care about or want a new hobby you'll need to spend a little time to figure out what to get. HT's tend to have max power of 5W with lower settings available to conserve battery power and to comply with the rule to use only enough power to make contact. ham radios do not have channels, they operate directly on frequencies.

One of the chief bonus' of 2 Meter ham is repeaters. If you can reach a repeater with your radio your range just grew exponentially. A ham club in Bishop maintains a repeater in the Whites at over 10k', "hit" that repeater with a 5w HT and your broadcast area could be a 75 mile radius!

For "STOP! Don't back over the bbq" type communications I'd go with the FRS. For off-trail hiking and remote excursions I'd go with the 2 Meter HT's.

Edited by ntsqd, 17 March 2014 - 03:08 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Just got back from DV and used my FRS a lot with my buddy. He feels FRS is all you need. I disagree after seeing how much better ham radio is. Ours worked ok for what we did. Mostly road conversations about where we were and/or what we were seeing. Also used them on a hike and splitting up to check to different areas on a trail showed the weakness. It only worked because I took a high point while he was in a canyon. The reception was poor at that point but communication was possible.

I say get a set of FRS/GMRS and also a cheap ham on amazon/ebay. Ham is way cool but I've seen some people on trips go to the full geektard about it. Setting up antenna arrays around a group camp can be a hindrance to peace and solitude.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

Thanks guys.  I understand the .5w limit on the FRS units and understand the benefits of repeaters on GMRS.  I read that a license is $80 (for five years).  Seems like rating the units from 10-30 miles doesn't matter much if they are all limited on wattage.

I've been mulling the idea of WT's for a while, but now we're thinking of heading to DV and suddenly I want the gear.  And I want it now.

:wacko:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

Lighthawk, Barking Spider has used/owned the motorolas FRS for years. He first purpose was sailing. now he hands us one while traveling together enroute with the vehicles. They work fine for their purpose.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

I occasionally use an ancient Motorola FRS that I originally used for skiing/snowboarding. We've been using them on our group Baja trips, they work great within a mile or two if you are within LOS. Excellent tool to help with passing down there, calling out "clear to pass" traffic calls or potential oncoming hazards. Not sure they would work too well in a rescue situation though.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Ski & Sunni. 

We're in a bit of a hurry to prep for the trip, so I ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of Motorolla's (MT350R)

My expectations of range are not very high, but I can see applications for us where it will be helpful when out of cell service.

They do plug into mini-USB, so I'll be able to use them with my charging station.

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

Icom ic-5011 and ic-4001f. We have reached as far as 40+ miles.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,017 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

GMRS doesn't have the antenna restrictions FRS has. Theres even rumor the license requirement may be going away soon. Theres ways around the power and  antenna restrictions on FRS if you're so inclined (not that I recommend breaking the rules). CB has the advantage that a lot of people already have it.

Ham is the way to go but not really practical if you're hitting the road in a couple days (not to mention that most of the gear is much more pricey unless you go with something like the baofeng) but it flat out works. That repeater up in the Whites will get you the entire Owens Valley not to mention it works even into Saline.

Now lets get our resident geektard chime in ;)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Invest the time and money for Amateur Radio equipment. It's reliable, expandable and in a real emergency it's efficient.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users