31 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

I am curious if anyone else has experienced a noisy oil canning in the new one piece roof.   I believe there is one other person who has reported this to FWC, but if anyone else has experienced it, and has a solution...   I would like to hear it.  Our FWC is a Grandby.

On our trip to the California and Nevada deserts, we had quite a bit of wind.    The metal roof would oil can, and make enough noise to be an irritant.   It's not a huge deal, but as I mentioned it is an irritant when you're trying to catch a bit of shut eye.   I believe the area is behind the factory installed solar panel, and seems to occur at mild (60ยบ+) temps, with the wind coming from a rear quarter.

Thanks in advance.

I am haunted by waters

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

I was out working in my camper the other day and thought something might have fallen on the top. Looked and nothing there. Oil can is correct for the noise I heard

For those who do not know oil-can.jpg

#3 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:26 PM

It was a bit breazy here this week and while working inside my Fleet I definitely noticed that the roof was "oil canning". On the passenger side the noise starts at about the forward lift board and extends aft a few feet. On the driver side it happens in one specific spot just aft of the overhead lift board and when I push on the headliner at that spot the noise stops. If I replicating the wind by pushing on the fabric panels the oil canning happens.
Cheers

Edited by Captm, 28 March 2014 - 10:30 PM.

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Interesting that all of the noisy roofs are very new units. The other unit that I am aware of is also new. It will be going in to FWC soon, so we should have some answers about cause and fix.

I wonder if the lack of the stiff center seam on the new style roof is a factor.

I am haunted by waters

#5 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

I've heard it too. It can happen in much colder temps. Never knew there was a name for it...

The only suggestion I have is to open more windows/vents, hoping that the pressure inside and outside equalizes. I really have no idea if that works but it seemed to work the one time I paid attention.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

I've heard it too. It can happen in much colder temps. Never knew there was a name for it...

The only suggestion I have is to open more windows/vents, hoping that the pressure inside and outside equalizes. I really have no idea if that works but it seemed to work the one time I paid attention.

I'm thinking this needs a fix. We can't always have the vents/windows open. A good Death Valley dust storm would leave a lot of nasty stuff on the inside if the windows are open.

I am haunted by waters

#7 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:31 AM

I hear my roof making noises but figure it was just small movement from the styrafoam or whatever is up int he roof.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#8 llavaseur

llavaseur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationHazel Park, Michigan

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

This is the easiest fix.  :P

th_zps627f94b5.jpg

#9 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Well I was envious of the one piece roof that came out not long after I got my Eagle but now I'm not.  The oil canning noise would really suck at night when trying to sleep.  I wonder if the adhesive that is supposed to hold the roof sheet to the frame is failing and causing the noise?

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#10 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

I'm curious if the roofs that make this noise have Yakima tracks and racks.  My roof does and a solar panel and doesn't make noise.  If it did my wife would be the first to notice it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users