12 replies to this topic

#1 remithoren

remithoren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:23 AM

Thanx for good tidings on our trip to New Orleans. Still waiting on the whether to choose the route...And I certainly agree that the Tundra looks and drives better with the FWC. I pulled that bigfoot x country twice and don't miss towing. That is the major reason we went for the FWC!

For more storage I put my thule roof box on top (to bring back XMAS stuff) and I had a helluva time pushing the top up. This is without any weight in the box. Not sure if I should bother taking it along. I seem to recall others have dealt with this. Stan or Ben any comments on static roof weight?

Other questions for the Stan/Ben team. Where exactly is that solar prewire and when did you make it available?
thanx to all,
Jeff aka Rem

2006 Hawk
2005 Tundra

#2 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

If you have a pair of old crutches you could make a lift to save your back....see thread....
http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=986
05 Ford F250 LB V10 04 FWC Grandby

#3 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

Putting a pod on top can be heavy. The roof will take it but as you have found out, it's a matter of how much can you push up. The best location for that heavy an item is in the middle of the roof on one side or the other so that you divide the weight from front to back. That will make it eaiser to push up. You still might have to unpack it though.

As to the solar wire, on your model you will have to ask Stan. I don't know where they put them on that year.
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hello Jeff aka Rem

They started pre-wiring for solar in the middle of 2005, but for a few months it was off and on.

I believe in early 2006 they started pre-wiring for all campers on a consistant basis.

If you know your camper serial number, or the date of manf. for your camper, or want to e-mail me your name if you bought the camper new (or the original owners name), I can pull the original production file and see what notes are in there. There could be some measurements for the location on the roof. That is how we are doing it these days to make it easier for customers.

My direct e-mail address is ... stan@fourwh.com

If your camper is older that a 2005, most likey the roof will not be pre-wired for solar.

You can also do a quick camper check and peak behind the front wooden lift panel (cab-over bed area) - usually drivers side.

There are normally 2 wires tucked back there that run from the cabinets, along the frame, up behind the front lift panel, and up into the roof to supply the interior lights with power, and also power for the powered roof vent fan(s).
These wires are normally Yellow & Black.

If the camper was pre-wired for solar you will usually see a total of 4 wires back there (Yellow & Black for lights) and also (Red and Black for the solar panel pre-wire).

Hope this helps.

=======================================================

... Where exactly is that solar prewire and when did you make it available?

Jeff aka Rem

2006 Hawk
2005 Tundra

Attached Thumbnails

• solar panle pre wire (4 wires total).JPG

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

We usually recommend 200 - 300 lbs. of weight on the roof max for gear.

Less weight is always better, as you have found out.

The more weight up there, the harder it gets to lift the roof.

There are also a few threads on the forums about this topic for "list assist devices".

These seem to help for the times you have gear on the roof and can't easily take it off before you pop the camper top up.

Here is one sample thread ...

http://www.wanderthe... assist"&page=2

=======================================================

[quote name='remithoren'] ... I put my thule roof box on top (to bring back XMAS stuff) and I had a helluva time pushing the top up. This is without any weight in the box. Not sure if I should bother taking it along. I seem to recall others have dealt with this. Any comments on static roof weight?

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 5 Speed

5 Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

I traveled to Alaska with a Thule box plus two 5.5 gal gas cans up top for over 3 months with a bad back. I used a small foam pad on top of my head for the back lift and because I have support across the front about 2 feet high used the flat of my back to lift the front. It isn't that huge of a problem getting the top up and have never had any problem. I will say my roof sags a little when the box is full of ski stuff in the winter and I grunt it up.
2000 Toyota Access Cab TRD 4WD 5-speed manual. 4WheelCamper Hawk shell w/extended bed and custom interior.

#7 hosse

hosse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:42 AM

We have a long thule box on top, too. We really like it to store lightweight extras and keep the camper clear for dealing with kids (changing diapers etc), eating lunch, and spot for the dog on long trips. What we've done that might help you is (if you have the yakima track system) is space the mounting holes further apart on the box to better-distribute the weight to the front and back of the camper. Our box is really old so we don't care too much about changing/compromising it's design. Just keep the gear as light as possible. Don't risk injury, though. You might consider a hitch cargo tray instead.

good luck,

Marc

#8 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

does the dog really like riding up there?
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

#9 hosse

hosse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

Sometimes we tie her to the hood, too.

for clarification,

"keep the camper clear . . . for a spot for the dog (on the lower bed with cab window open)." NOT in the Thule box. :o

#10 benburnett

benburnett

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:11 AM

I think you are on to something there. Drill a few ventilation holes, throw in a bowl of water and the dog will have a great view of the journey. I think there might be a market there for that one.:)
Sincerely,

Ben

www.bsbinstitute.com

email: benbntt@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users