Photo
- - - - -

Backup camera for new Tacoma TRD Prerunner with Fleet unit ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Stevens

Fred Stevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

This question must have been asked before but I don’t see it in the current list of forum topics. What are people using for a backup camera for a Fleet unit mounted on a 2013 and later Tacoma Prerunner TRD? The vehicle comes with a backup camera but it’s in the tailgate which of course has to be removed for the Fleet insert--a  problem. Googling, I see lots of third party backup camera options, some wireless, some not. Most mount a screen via suction cup on the dash, a solution I would rather avoid. Ideally I’d like to get a backup unit that displays on the Tacoma’s dashboard screen. Is that possible?

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Here is the thread you want; it is pinned under Truck Campers. It will answer all your questions, especially regarding Tacoma and Fleet:

Back-up Camera Thread    

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:57 PM

Fred, the easiest (cheapest) solution is to remove the camera and wiring from your existing tailgate and install it in a custom
mount on your camper bottom or above the license plate on the truck (if you are going to move the camper on and off the truck). I say cheapest because the camera costs $900. Click on "my build" in my signature and scroll down to see it installed.

The mount was fabricated by a local "mobile electronics" store here in Oceanside.

Use the screen in your rear view mirror and the cable plug under truck bed.

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 04 April 2014 - 03:32 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:37 AM

I should have an easy economical answer to this by next week.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 frigid north

frigid north

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, Alaska

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hello Fred,

I have a 2010 Tacoma. I removed the camera from the tailgate and mounted it on the back of my camper.

I used an outdoor electrical box with cover that I found at lowes or home depot, and some non metallic flexible conduit for routing the wire. I had to get some more wire and splice it in to extend the camera wire. I like the camera mounted high for a better view.

IMGP1937.JPG

IMGP1939.JPG

IMGP1940.JPG

Toyota Tacoma 2010 TRD V6 ATC Bobcat 2008 shell model

#6 billyg3

billyg3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

Took me less than an hour to remove from the tailgate of my tundra and remount it.  I have a wood platform under my ATC for bed clearance and screwed it right into that.  I can easily reinstall it to the tailgate when needed.  I have an excellent range of view even mounted low due to the extensive fisheye of the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1636.JPG

Edited by billyg3, 23 April 2014 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users