• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Short work/play trip to Flagstaff over Easter weekend. I want to spend at least one night out. Leaving early on Friday morning, spending Friday night out, hiking, messing around on Saturday, rolling into Flag Saturday evening. Any ideas of places, campsites, etc would be appreciated. 4x4 roads are OK. Doing the same, spending one night out on the return trip. Thanks.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#2 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

Check out Pisgah Crater. I've been up there once and have wanted to camp on the east side where there are about four fire rings made of rock. Really neat place.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#3 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

The Mojave Desert Preserve is a great place to spend a little time or just spend a night. I don't have specific suggestions, I just found a secluded spot to break my drive and spend the night.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#4 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

I understand the "find a secluded spot" thinking, I have done that many times. I was just thinking if anybody out there knew of a location that was special, it would help us plan. We will be spending 2 nights somewhere as we drive. Going slow.

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#5 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

It's been a number of years but we found nice boondock camping around the Morman Lake area, lots of forest service roads if I recall correctly. Couldn't recommend a special spot but I'm sure you will find one of your own. Lake Mary Road is where we turned off I think.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

For an organized campground, Midhills is pretty nice and it is at some altitude which may be a bonus if its hot.It is a ways off of the 40, but any route chosen to it takes you past some interesting POI's.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

My kid wants a trip report from Bedrock City

#8 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I have been to Bedrock City when I went to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff. Great for a smile. A bit out of our way for this trip.

#9 MotoDave

MotoDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationVentura, CA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Funny to come across this thread, we're heading out on Friday to Sedona for about a week (from Ventura). We've got to drop off the pooch with the in-laws in Banning, so our route will need to include I-10, but I'm planning to take I-60 to I-71 to I-89 through Prescott and Cottonwood.

Weather is looking nice!

Wave if you see a grey double cab Tundra around Ventura with a camper shell on the back :)

#10 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Nice route. I have done that, beats I-17 North anytime. Sedona is beautiful, if you can get away from the intense crowds. A nice hike, although easy and possibly others will be there is up West Creek. If you are willing, bring wet shoes and wool socks and keep going after the trail ends. It dead ends in a shallow pool of water, flat bottom, but it looks like you can continue up. Looks beautiful, and nobody will be there. Outstanding hiking outside of Sedona canyon. If you can, check out Jerome, a cool little historical, crazy, mountain side town.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users