66 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

...long before FWC got involved we did rallies the old fashioned way. Hey, I'm going to be at so and so, anyone want to meet up?

Yeah...what about that?  :huh:

DirtyDog used to be a driving force behind WTW rallies...but that was then, this is now.

Some folks have organized, or tried to, various small get-togethers over the past couple of years....

I'd like to see someone suggest/promote a big, non-brand-specific, all-WTW rally this year! :)

UPDATE:  It's gonna happen -- see Rally thread here.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 01:46 AM

I'll go*

*As long as I don't have a conflict. Can's believe how busy I can be retired.

Bill

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

I also have been thinking about this for a while. To the point where I recently asked DirtyDog if he would be interested in something like this if I could get him a loaned camper. Not for lack of interest but for lack of time off it doesn't work for him. Still the idea of a good old fashioned WTW rally is possible. And besides Bill, at least one person that will be attending the FWC rally has expressed a similar interest to me.

So, while not offering to organize said rally, I would like to see one happen and would be interested in joining it. I truly miss the sharing of trip stories, camper modifications, food and drink, and just making new friends that the rallies provided. That is why we are attending the FWC rally. Some organizing thoughts do come to mind. Typically WTW members tend to prefer boondocking. But I am concerned about the environmental impact of a group camping at a location without facilities. So do we boondock or get a primitive campground? I can think of a couple of locations for either way. Where do we locate it for access to the most members? Just a weekend or a midweek trip? I ask these questions with the hope that the discussion alone will lead to a plan developing.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Does it really need organization? What If I said, for example, "Eureka Sand Dune, May 3rd-5th" or "Cathedral Gorge S.P. campground, Oct. 10th-12th"? How much more organizing does it need to have? Having never organized much less attended such an event I'm naive about what has to happen behind the scenes.

With the rules about organized group sizes I think a certain amount of disorganization is a bonus.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I would be interested in something a little further north. SE Oregon, North Nevada or CA.

I am haunted by waters

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

The Sierras in the summer are just about perfect. Need to find a dispersed camping area and they are getting harder to find. There was one loosely organized in Kirkwood area not long after I got my first Hawk. I had  conflict and could not attend. I agree a certain amount of disorganization is a bonus. I have camped with a group every year in the Sierra for the past 45 years, one year the FS gave us a hard time about a permit. Permit required over 20 people. We got the permit for 5 years and every year got a visit from the FS, some hassle each time. Stopped getting the permit and have not had a problem. Our group runs just around 20 +/- a few. If over 20 we have two camps (wink wink).

Bill

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:38 PM

There have been a few open invites for meet-ups of WTW folks in the past couple years, events where someone posted "Hey, I'm gonna be here on this weekend.  Anyone want to join me?"  I've done that myself and enjoyed it.

But what I'm talking about is a WTW rally something like the two I attended:

-- the one in October 2010, which got its organization started with this thread:  October 2010 and became "official" with this thread:  WTW October Pork Rally

-- and the one in October 2011, October Black Rock?

And there have been others -- before my time or that I couldn't attend.

One reason for a little bit of "organization" is for WHEN -- to try to pick a date when most people (who want to) can attend and/or a date far enough in the future that people can plan their schedules to be free then.  No date will work for everyone who wants to attend, of course...but a little polling well in advance will improve the odds.

Another reason for a little organization is for WHERE.  Like, if most of those interested in getting together somewhere live in northern Calif or Oregon the "where" probably wouldn't be near Anza Borrego.  Or if there was a lot of interest, the "where" probably shouldn't be a regular individual-site campground that will be too full on a weekend.

The 2010 Rally was kinda formally organized because group food was prepared, so attendance needed to be planned in advance and limited...maybe the location also set a size limit?

The 2011 Rally required less organization because no group food was happening, and it was located at a big primitive BLM campground in kinda the middle of nowhere with little risk of being too full.

If this idea seems to have real interest we can move this topic to Trip Planning or start a new one there.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,286 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

We could be tempted (with not much of a push).

If it were to work out.

Like Bill seems that being retired still eats up your time.

Don't know how we did all the things we did while still working.

Keep us posted.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

We might be interested too if we're not booked and are flexible generally for either mid-week or weekend (retired).  We're in Boise that may be our deciding factor if it's too far away.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

as some one who is not to group happy i would consider 

a get together that would include more than show and tell

enough of that on the inner net!

one idea would be to have a location ,example june lake ca.

area when fishing season opens,that people at their leisure

could stop by stay as long as they want,take off for a days fishing

hiking into upper lakes streams etc,or just hang out.

interested people could then post here the dates they might be in the area.

in my case if no one showed i would still get my fishing in!  :P 

just my thoughts yours may differ.

Les,lqhikers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users