16 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just went up MET to the Silverfork road for a quick short trip to see how the dog would do outdoors and camping. Not much snow up to the Silverfork turnoff but shortly after there was a good patch that I wasn't sure I wanted to test. I let the dog out in to the snow. After a quick wth he decided he really likes snow (mostly ice now, he'd probably really flip for some nice powder).

IMAG0320_zps9d85fe1a.jpg

While I was letting him run a truck came up with a very helpful gentleman. Told me this was the worst of it right here. We chatted for half and hour and when I mentioned I was going to overnight he told me to check out a hundred yards before the 11 mile marker. A nice spot right on the river where he'd just cleaned the fire pit and cut a bunch of firewood. I took him up especially as my usual spot isn't accessible quite yet. Its a great spot and immaculate, Not a bit of trash.

IMAG0323_zps82fc2724.jpg

IMAG0325_zpsf7676221.jpg

IMAG0326_zps2c0c0b15.jpg

Always handy to have a lodgepole pine come down right in camp. The thunderstorms did roll through, rained for about two hours. A couple thunder boomers right on top of us, enough to rock the truck, the dog didn't care much those. It took some work but I was still able to get the fire going. Scares me how low the heavy fuel moisture must be.

Watched a movie (wolverine) that I can't recommend. My laptop claimed it had four hours of juice prior to watching but just as it was ending I got a message it was about to shut down for lack of power. Good to know.

Even though the ENF has lifted seasonal restrictions they haven't opened the locked gates yet so only a few people were around. The only other vehicles I saw were parked at the Caples creek hiking trail. We walked for a few hours, up and down the road, nice not having to worry about traffic until I decided it was time to go. Hey how bout driving down to where the river crosses the road. I kind of wish I hadn't. Some things you really don't want to see. This was the worst ever I've run across.

IMAG0329_zps686737df.jpg

It was even worse than the photo makes it look. Scattered over a wide area. Diapers and all. Kind of surprising though was no signs of alcohol. Just sober scumbags teaching kids how to trash the environment. About an hour later.

IMAG0330_zps2b673cb3.jpg

I had most of it cleaned up.

IMAG0333_zps870d3268.jpg

Sad you even need to post these kinds of signs, I guess people can't read.

IMAG0331_zpsa59c28cc.jpg

I really hope Karma works for those people. I'm thankful they weren't still there. I would have gone ballistic.

Anyway, the dog is go for camping. Hopefully he can meet bob and callie and the others soon. He wasn't perfect but he is only five months old. I was happy he didn't roam too far before checking to see if I was coming. I can't leave him behind even for a few though or he begins to cry. He won't be making the rally.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Craig, thanks for cleaning up that campsite.   You're paying it forward for all of us...

I am haunted by waters

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:18 PM

Glad you were able to get out. Thanks for the report. There was quite a bit of build yesterday. Nice one found you for a bit of entertainment. Good job picking up after the................................................ :o

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

Glad you got out and the dog liked it. Fine looking dog-at least Bob thinks so. Did you find any addresses in the garbage-my old BLM cops used to go through that stuff and when they they found one, they got happy and payed a little house call  to the address with instructions.  We had rain here, more on the way later here. Have fun!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 20 April 2014 - 02:11 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:22 AM

<snip>

Did you find any addresses in the garbage-my old BLM cops used to go through that stuff and when they they found one, they got happy and payed a little house call  to the address with instructions. 

<snip>

One time on a backpack trip into the Beartooth Absoroka Wilderness in Montana I found id with an address in a pile of trash. I carried in all out, boxed it up, and mailed it to them.  :)  I hope a lesson was learned.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

Good lookin' pooch! He'll be a fine camper. Good job on the cleanup too. I appreciate your work. I really don't understand people that do that. Why are they out there in the first place? Thanks for posting your trip- looks like nice country.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:04 AM

I looked. I would have been happy to go Alices Restaurant on them. It is nice country. Not spectacular. Shame the proximity to the big cities bring the worst out. With the bits of snow still out and everything still green it was pretty. I expect car traffic in another week. 

I used to expect more of an environmental ethos from backpackers but that seems to have changed also. 

Its funny, I've become used to seeing some trash just about everywhere I go. I don't think I can ever get used to seeing a place trashed this bad though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

<snip>

I used to expect more of an environmental ethos from backpackers but that seems to have changed also. 

<snip>

The trash was left behind by a horse and stock packing group. It was the backpackers that carried it out. :D

#9 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

Great looking camping partner. Thanks for taking on the trash duty. I used to chaperone a school backpacking club and was always on the kids for picking up after themselves. Fortunately most of them got it.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

One time on a backpack trip into the Beartooth Absoroka Wilderness in Montana I found id with an address in a pile of trash. I carried in all out, boxed it up, and mailed it to them.  :)  I hope a lesson was learned.

That's like  "Alice's Restaurant ".....kid we found an envelope with your name on it,buried under a half a ton of garbage,and wanted to know if you knew anything about it" ,Officer Obey.

Have yet to understand the misinterpretation  of "Pack it in Pack it out".

I guess there are a few who just don't give a crap!!!

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users