• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

Like a lot of FWC owners, we have not been thrilled with the foam mattress on our Hawk. While an improvement over sleeping on the ground, there seemed to be room for improvement. I had an idea to improve the situation when I considered that our old sofa-bed mattress was sitting under the cushions doing nothing since the trampoline and frame had been destroyed by one or the other (if not both) of my daughters and their friends over the years.

I measured this spring mattress and discovered it was too wide for the camper bed with the slider pushed in, about 4 inches too short but the thickness was just right. Figuring the mattress was useless elsewise, I cut it open to see exactly how the springs were arranged and discovered that I could remove two rows and make it fit inside the width of the bed box. So this I did and then I trimmed and sewed up the flap (see pictures). Because my sewing skills are rudimentary, I compensate by using lots of thread.

Due to condensation issues, I used some interlocking floor mats under the mattress.  I almost had to burn down the camper and, just to be safe, the truck as I brought a cockroach inside along with the mats. Little bugger almost ran behind the lift panels, but I got him before that happened.

We haven't spent a night on the new set up yet, but early indications are quite positive.

Alan

DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG DSC_0032.JPG

#2 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

At Overland Expo last year Tom Hanagan mentioned they were looking at some better mattress options. Any update Stan?

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

We were unhappy with the hardness of our stock FWC mattress, like so many others.   You wish FWC would notice.

Susan bought a mattress topper which we added to the bed.  We use sheets and a comforter on our mattress, so this might not work for folks that use sleeping bags.  I'm amazed how comfortable the bed is with the additional padding of the topper.  I'm happy we were able to find something that works for us, without spending a bundle.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

What's the max thickness for the mattress?

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Depends on what year you have.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

#7 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:43 PM

I think the thickness depends on a couple of things: obviously the space from the bed base to the lift panels and helper arm when the top is down and also how "springy" the bed is. A springy bed will collapse more allowing the top to come down without undue strain. If, like we do, you want to leave bed clothes on the bed with the top down, that thickness needs to be accounted for as well.

The most important thing is to avoid clamping the roof down so hard that you distort it.

Alan

#8 sourdough

sourdough

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location(805)

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

There was a point when I was going to sell my Hawk if I couldn't figure a better night sleep.  I found  acceptable/better sleep with the froli system...  http://www.wanderthe...=+froli +system

2013 Tiger CX Ram 3500 diesel 4x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users