Photo

Different insurance needed for slide in camper on a truck? Tags?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum I couldn't find one that suited this question.

I'm pretty close to purchasing a FWC for my 2010 Tacoma and am curious if I need different insurance if it's considered an RV?  Also, are different tags needed?  

Thanks!

#2 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

Some states require registration for a truck camper, though not many. Oregon does.
Call your insurance agent, have some pictures and links to email them as many of them don't understand what a truck camper is.
At one point I had a separate insurance policy on my truck camper as it covered the camper when it was removed (in storage). When I stored the camper at the house, it was covered under homeowners when there, and I had a very small rider on the truck policy that covered it while loaded on the truck.
There are some specialty rv policies that cover hotel stays, additional tow expenses and other things that some people like too.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

You should have a conversation with your insurance agent. I have State Farm, and my truck policy covers the camper when on the truck.

Read the requirements carefully regarding license requirements. I am in Oregon, and have both a pop up camper and a hard side. The hard side requires tags, the pop up does not.

Here's a thread on that topic... I will format it when I get off the iPad...

Oregon Insurance Thread...

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 24 April 2014 - 03:58 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#4 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

My better half works for an insurance company. She has told me to not assume my auto policy will cover the camper. It is a must to have the camper covered with its own RV policy.

#5 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Assuming you have a lienholder for the camper due to financing all or part of the purchase price, you will likely be required to insure the camper by the lienholder.   Like the others above stated, you will have to read carefully on your policy.  I have USAA and it covers anything mounted or tied into the bed of the truck, to incluce a $20K camper.  There are companies out there that don't cover a camper in the bed.   I had to ask some very specific questions to the agent about paying a full-replacement value claim on a $20K camper and they agreed that it would be covered, so no additional insurance would be required.  They did annotate on my policy that the HAWK FWC was to be mounted on the truck at times, so there would be no question on any future claims.    If you own the camper outright, no insurance is requred - your choice.

Oh boy, the infamous "camper tag's" thread...     WAndering Sagebrush, I'll be letting my plates lapse when they expire, because of the valuable data on that thread.  Not quire sure why the bank even made me purchase plates in the first place. 

#6 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Oh boy, the infamous "camper tag's" thread...     WAndering Sagebrush, I'll be letting my plates lapse when they expire, because of the valuable data on that thread.  Not quire sure why the bank even made me purchase plates in the first place. 

Since you financed it, the bank wanted a title, hence you got plates.  When I got mine and was looking at financing it, my CU said it would need to be registered and titled for a loan.  Decided it was easier to skip the loan and not deal with a title and fee's since it was never registered anyway.  These campers don't need plates in OR.  

As far as insurance, I have a rider on my truck policy. No separate policy.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

We belong to Good Sam and have used their auto/RV insurance since 1984.

We have full coverage on the Eagle for $150 per year.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#8 billyg3

billyg3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

This thread reminded me I needed to look into this.  Progressive covers it under the same category as a pull behind trailer.  Set it up yesterday.  I came out to be ~$156/yr to cover my Ocelot valued @ $10k ($1k deductible) with variables for my region/driving history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users