Photo
- - - - -

Putting a modified FWC Ranger into a Tacoma 6ft bed. Questions...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

So I'm looking at buying a used Ranger that has been modified to fit a Tacoma bed.  I wanted to ask anyone with knowledge the pros and cons of having an 8ft camper in a 6ft bed.  This would mean having the tailgate down (still on) with the camper resting on it.  What should I consider while looking at this camper?

Thanks!

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have a Grandby (8') in my standard bed (6.5') Silverado loaded with the tailgate down.  This issue is center of gravity.  My camper weighs about 2,000 lbs loaded and the CG is just at the back of the rear wheels, but I have a 1 ton truck with a tongue weight of 15,000 lbs so any weight the Grandby puts behind my rear wheels is well within the limits.  I'm also no where near my GVRW so the truck barely feels the camper in the back.

Because you have a 1/2 ton, I think you'll find the steering will feel light probably too light.  You'll also need to beef up your suspension but don't know if that will eleviate the light steering feel.  Guessing loaded, you'll be pretty close to gross weight.  That combined with the very rear CG might be an issue.

#3 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

I agree with John,

If it is a loaded ranger (Fridge, Furnace, Awning) you will need to upgrade the rear leaf spring or add airbags in order for it to be close to safe, for short on-road trips. A light front end means braking and steering problem which are the most dangerous thing that can happen to a vehicle.

If you are planning long trips I would wait and find an Eagle or Bobcat. With airbags or extra leafs you will be able to go off road and drive at high speed safely.

I bought a long FWC Fleet for a short bed truck and ended up selling it for Falcon that fit. Now I am a happy camper and can load the dogs and toys up and drive safely!

#4 riz

riz

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

Worked fine for me for several years. Timbrens leveled the load. I didn't do much off roading, however.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

It only takes an instant to make a footprint in the sand... It sometimes takes a lifetime to find the beach.

#5 shear

shear

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the feedback.  I think given what we are planning on doing with the camper on the truck...going with a shorter camper is the ticket.  I was worried about where the weight would be distributed in an 8ft camper on a 6ft bed...this confirmed my worries.  

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

I've run a Granby on a i/2 ton short bed 99 F150 4x4  for almost  8 years, but I had specially made 3/4 ton springs(recommended by my local ford dealer) put on the truck after the air bags didn't work that well(one side kept blowing out) . I've had no problems at all since I did it, infact my old truck purrrs down the highway and over the warsh board roads when "I wander the west".  But if I had to do it over again, I would probably have bought a F250 or a big Dodge to use with the Granby.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 Richard Burton

Richard Burton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Be sure you can still access your spare tire with the tailgate down. On my 86 Toyota truck the lowered gate made it extremely difficult to get the handle under the gate into the notch used to lower the spare tire so I took the tailgate off after struggling to fix a blowout out in the desert!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users