• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

Going to make a short 3 night mid-week trip to the Big Sur area. Going to stay Kirk Creek, Plaskett Creek and may try to find Sunman's spot near Prewitt Ridge.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

I have seen the pictures of Julia Pfeiffer Burns Beach but have not been there so it is on the list of places to see. Point Lobos is one of my favorite spots and will stop there.

I have driven through but have not stopped much in the area. Are there any other must see spots that I should check out in the area?

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

Bill,
Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP and McWay Falls are definitely not to be missed. Pfeiffer Beach near Big Sur proper and it's purple sand are also worthy. A hike out to the mouth of the Big Sur River at Andrew Molera SP is also nice. We also never miss stopping at the Henry Miller Library, walking the serene grounds amongst the redwoods and usually pick up a few books. I'd also recommend driving the Old South Coast Road near which starts or ends at Andrew Molera or at the North side of the Bixby Bridge. A stop at Nepenthe for an over priced lunch or beverage can be nice, some of the best views in Big Sur are there. A BLT at the Big Sur Bakery and a walk thru the spirit garden is pretty worthy as well. Lots to do and see, have fun whatever you may do. You've got the midweek factor working in your favor.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Thank you SunMan.  I have only stopped at Nepenthe on your list so the others will be new. I added links to your post below when I emailed it to my wife.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bill,
Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP and McWay Falls are definitely not to be missed. Pfeiffer Beach near Big Sur proper and it's purple sand are also worthy. A hike out to the mouth of the Big Sur River at Andrew Molera SP is also nice. We also never miss stopping at the Henry Miller Library, walking the serene grounds amongst the redwoods and usually pick up a few books. I'd also recommend driving the Old South Coast Road near which starts or ends at Andrew Molera or at the North side of the Bixby Bridge. A stop at Nepenthe for an over priced lunch or beverage can be nice, some of the best views in Big Sur are there. A BLT at the Big Sur Bakery and a walk thru the spirit garden is pretty worthy as well. Lots to do and see, have fun whatever you may do. You've got the midweek factor working in your favor. 

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Good stuff! Looking forward to your report, Bill.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Bill I think the road to Pfeiffer Beach might be still closed. Last time I was down that way in March it was.

Don't miss Pt. Lobos. Try to park at Whalers Cove and walk to Granite Point and check out the nesting Herons in the tree in front of the bench.

The Kiva Cafe is a good choice also at the Nepenthe ,just a more reasonable price and the same view. Less people also.

Have a good trip.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 SLOwag

SLOwag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Garrapata State Park just south of Point Lobos has a nice hike along the creek in the redwoods. You can continue on the loop, climb to the ridge and see over to the east side and continue the loop to look back down onto the coastal side from a nice high vantage point.

2009 Tacoma 4x4 short bed DCab - OME 885 front, Dakar rear w/ Ride-Rite air bags, Nitrocharger shocks. Hankook ATM 265/75/16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users