6 replies to this topic

#1 billyg3

billyg3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hey All,

I now have 17 nights in my new used ATC Ocelot we purchased in May and have compiled some questions for the collective (and I'm sure I'll add more as they come!).

1) I just refilled the propane tank for the first time and now there is an annoying tink, tink, tink when the camper rocks during normal internal movement like the float that gauges how full the tank is bangs around inside.  After reading the tank it appeared maybe it was overfilled, so I bled it according to the directions until white liquid turned to gas expelled (while almost freezing off my thumb!), but that didn't solve the problem.   Maybe that is just how it is while the tank is on the full side?  A little disconcerting and annoying as it can be heard inside. Any input on this?

2)Any guidance in ensuring the CO and LP detectors are functioning properly besides the lights on/test button?  My wife is super paranoid to use the heat without window/roof vent cracked which kind of defeats the purpose.  I bought and installed a battery operated CO monitor for peace of mind but this is an uphill battle I think...  On the same note what is the minimum ventilation you feel comfortable with while using the stove?  Fan blowing out on low?

2) I have not hooked up the isolator to the car engine and really don't see the need right now as the solar and 2 deep cycles have worked flawlessly and I am never even near drained on the battery power with current usage.  Very little overall draw, no fridge etc.  But there is an annoying constant beep I can hear sometimes. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the isolator that also has a green light (but may be the MPPT solar controller).  It is overall barely noticeable with the seat cushion in place and really only when I enter the camper when it is not in use- so maybe it only occurs when the main power switch is off, it would be nice to not hear it ever though. anyone have any ideas?

3) A few of the thin ferring strips in the ceiling that hold up the headliner have some breaks here and there.  Are those structural in any way?  It seems as though the roof's integrity is fine, I think the likely cause was the previous owners had a hard time getting the roof up before installing the helper shocks.  I have been in pouring rain with no issues.  Just wondering if those cracks/breaks in the strips should cause any major concern...

4) Any washing instructions for the ATC cushion covers?  Would like to strip and wash, just don't want to mess them up/shrink them etc. General washing guidance for camper itself? I've done a couple light/quick power washes paying particular attention not to hit the pop seam and leading edge that drains to the bed too hard and doing an initial hand scrub on the bug suicide zone beforehand...  I did read the general care instructions, 303 guidance etc for the pop up.

6) My water system fill indicator is definitely not right.  Will only ever read 1/2 full (maybe 3/4 when topped off for the first gallon of use or so).  Any guidance for a fix or troubleshooting?  It would be nice to know when I'm low...

7) Any threads on upgrading the interior lights to LED's?  Unsuccessful searching...  Is it as easy as replacing the light itself with an LED with the same footprint or does the wiring need to change?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and sorry for the barrage of questions!

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

Your propane tank has an OPD, overfill prevention device which should prevent it from being overfilled. No idea about the tink unless its a defective tank. LED's are an easy and finally, inexpensive upgrade requiring no wiring changes. Can do bulbs that just plug in or buy new fixtures. Should find a lot of info here with a search. The headliner strips are not structural. I used small screws to repair mine. Go in very easily with my makita. I normally just open the vent when cooking inside, don't see the need to turn the fan on. 

I've never used anything other than the test button to test my detectors. Having ventilation open a little bit is useful for prevention condensation and CO. Not necessary for using the vented heater but it always helps to have some ventilation for condensation prevention.

I've been debating washing my cushions but I'm a little paranoid they'll shrink and I'll never get them back on. Let me know how it works out.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

You can get LED replacements for the bulbs. Search on line for LED bulbs. They take I think if I remember 1156 bayonet mount. It's just a simple change over. You don't have to change the whole fixture.

Have fun with your "new" camper.

And welcome Billyg3 to the "cult".

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

You might check the smoke detector for the beeping. Ours did that when the camper was closed with the roof down in warm weather. We ended up just taking the detector down when we aren't in the camper.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Check out this LED thread.  

http://www.wanderthe...azon#entry87339

#6 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

This might be what you already have, but they make CO detectors that show numbers on the screen (like this). That would supposedly (who knows exactly how accurate they are) tell you how much CO is around. If the number is anywhere above 0 I'd be worried, but I doubt you'll ever see that if you've got a vented heater and you open windows. Might give your wife some peace of mind.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#7 billyg3

billyg3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks so much for the replies, don't know how I missed that LED thread...  The tinking is pretty annoying in the propane tank but only happens with movement.  Since I got it when the tank was half full I am figuring it will go away when the level drops or the person filling it at ace overfilled it and screwed it up as it just started happening after that first fill...  I'm going to contact Manchester Tanks and see what they have to say.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: washingpropane, ceiling, LED lights, detector, ATC, headliner, water monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users