• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#11 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

I also have a Tundra, air bags take care of lifting the load.  I was worried about brakes more than suspension. Good friend who is a ASE mechanic said the Toyota truck brakes are over sized and I would have no problem.  So far everything is fine with the Hawk on the Tundra. I did a weight check after I finished my build and I have 1200 pounds on the back ready to camp (CAT scale).

Also very interesting. How's options-out is your Hawk? Fridge? Water tanks? Solar?

#12 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

Also very interesting. How's options-out is your Hawk? Fridge? Water tanks? Solar?

See my build on my Blog or on WTW in my thread on the build

#13 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

I have the same set up. I love mine even more now that I have Michelin E rated tires. I also have the Firestone air bags. And yes I load mine with water and everything else.  Most of the time I also have my utility trailer hooked up with my 4 wheeler or my Cataraft.  

Memorial2_zps2ccfaf19.jpg

#14 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

This really isn't all that complicated....it's a simple math problem.

You mentioned Ram, go here for payload ratings:  http://www.rambodybu...rammlup1500.pdf

A crew cab 4x4 could have as little as 1,300 pound max payload rating. My Hawk with some common options was 1,340 pounds empty. Loaded on trip to Moab I stopped a CAT scale and my total added weight to the truck was 2,400 pounds. Two people, water,

food, gas and NO toys, bikes etc.

It's possible you could exceed your max payload by as much as 1,000 pounds. If your comfortable with that it is your call.

By the way the 1500 Ram has the worst in class max payload ratings. Both GM and Ford 1/2 tons have optional packages that are in the 2,000 pound range. I love the handling of my 3/4 ton truck and its 3,000 payload rating and wouldn't consider anything less. I would rather be under what the manufacturer recommends than substantially over.

Thanks Rotti. For a number of reasons I'm more interested in the 1/2 ton footprint, but agree with you that it's always better to be over-powered than under-powered. The payload rating for the vehicle I've spec'd is 1,300, but I also don't fully trust those rating. 

Also, very good information about the Ram's being generally bottom of class in terms of payload. I like the Ram a lot would jump to a different mfr if I could get the package I want with better carrying capacity.

BTW, love that rotti in your profile pic. Good dog!

Edited by viciousesque, 24 July 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#15 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:59 AM

I'm close to what you want.  I have a Raven on a short bed Ram 1500 with no issues.  I even keep the water tank fully loaded at all time and it's my daily driver.  The Raven is fully loaded with water heater, compressor fridge, dual batteries, heater, sound system etc.  I did put in air bags before I got the camper but I'm not sure I needed them.  I only have them set at 5 lbs which is the minimum you must have.  I agree, the Ram is a great looking and riding truck.  Mine is a 2 wheel drive bighorn that I got on sale for $28k and it's fully loaded.  That's the only reason I didn't get a 4wd or 3/4 etc. because I couldn't pass up the $11k savings.  If you click on the my rig link you can see how it looks.  I choose the Raven because it fits the 5'8" bed like a glove and has a better center of gravity than the Hawk.  The Hawk is only 10" longer on the inside which I didn't feel justified having the bumper overhang.

Yeah, I don't think the weight difference is that significant between the Hawk and the Raven. Good to know.

#16 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:04 AM

My hawk weighs in at just over 2k ready to rock. Just crawl under a tundra some day and compare the size of all the items like calipers, rotors, drive-lines, axle-housings and such. You will be quite surprised...

Super great information. I'm happy to switch alliance to the Tundra, if that can keep me in the smaller 1/2 ton footprint, but provide that little extra edge I need in terms of load capacity.

#17 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

truth b  told, most half ton trucks with any slide in camper loaded with gear are over gvwr.. if you are okay with that go for it..

#18 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

I have the same set up. I love mine even more now that I have Michelin E rated tires. I also have the Firestone air bags. And yes I load mine with water and everything else.  Most of the time I also have my utility trailer hooked up with my 4 wheeler or my Cataraft.  

Excellent! What year is that 1500? 4x4?

#19 viciousesque

viciousesque

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

That's exactly why I traded my Bighorn Ram 1500 for the tundra 2 years ago, AND it will fit in the garage with the camper on. The 3/4 ton would not.

So, is the consensus that the Tundra is the most over-built of the 1/2 tons?

#20 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

Excellent! What year is that 1500? 4x4?

That is  2005 Tundra 4x4 Double cab. Plenty of power and depending on how I drive 13 to 16 mpg. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, ram 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users