hawk ram 1500

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Btw, wait until next year and you'll be able to get the tundra with a cummins turbo diesel in it. =;v)

#22 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

I read somewhere when you figure the percentage of american parts in each truck Toyota was leading if I remember with 68% or something like that. 

#23 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

That's what I remember, with ford being a close or even second. Have you seen the new dually 1ton Tundra? That would fit the OP's needs... (I can't spell his handle! )

From "Automotive Weekly News" Where he talks about all 1/2 ton class pickups. Not sure about his credibility...

https://www.google.c...2I8prINSMtfNxDw

Edited by KILR0Y, 25 July 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#24 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Get a 3/4 ton and you'll never have to worry about a single issue related to GVWR.  No airbags to break, no need to upgrade to E-rated tires, no sway bars...

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#25 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

I agree with Bwht4x4.  1/2 tons are fine but with my 3/4 I don't worry about the camper, the gear inside, the kayaks on top, or even the boat I'm pulling with it.  With the diesel I'm getting 17 mpg with a fully loaded camper.  It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and what type of budget you are working with.  Whatever you choose good luck and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#26 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:16 PM

Nothing to do with GVWR, but I also find it hilarious with my friends that they buy Toyota Tundras and 4-Runners and then complain all day about the mileage they get in them.  My Dodge 3/4 diesel with mud terrains and the camper gets the same MPG they get in their trucks.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#27 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

Nothing to do with GVWR, but I also find it hilarious with my friends that they buy Toyota Tundras and 4-Runners and then complain all day about the mileage they get in them.  My Dodge 3/4 diesel with mud terrains and the camper gets the same MPG they get in their trucks.

Agree, but for what you are going to do. Friend of mine bought a V6 2WD Tundra and his milage is worse than my 4x4 V8 Tundra.

#28 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I guess I'll chime in here, I get right a 14 mpg with a 06 tundra access 4.0 2wd/05 Hawk loaded. I'm looking to upgrade to a full size truck, even with the extra springs, my truck is overloaded and that 6cyl has to work pretty hard to push that hawk down the road. I expect the mileage will be better or as good with a small or mid size v8 and the additional power in the hills and when towing will be welcome. Other advantage of a full size truck is the track width which will add to the stability.

#29 cbphotog

cbphotog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

I have a Hawk with most of the options (no toilet or water heater) on a Ram 1500 with a 1700 lb payload rating.  I added Bilstein shocks all around along with airbags and it handles really well…..even when four-wheeling.  

#30 LawrenceG

LawrenceG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

I'm about to take delivery of a "Hawk" with a frig, sink, stove, one battery, outside shower, and awnings.  Plan to slide it into our beautiful new 1/2 ton Ram.  I had airbags added to the suspension which I was told increases the payload by an additional 1,000 pounds - more or less. It's just my wife and me and we're lean (but not mean….together we weigh in at 320 pounds.  We travel light, clothes and gear wise; eat mostly fresh food which means we never have much food at any one time, and I don't envision ever filling the water tank(s). We live in the Rockies and will therefore often be rolling on gravel and steep rutted roads.  My question is this…should I also consider adding sway bars to the truck or will the airbags be sufficient? Looking forward to your expertise as I'm a neophyte in this world of truck campers.  (Pretty darn exciting to think I am finally comfortable - after 40 years of backpacking and high altitude alpinism - with the notion of sleeping on something other than foam or a Thermarest pad!) Cheers and thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hawk, ram 1500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users