12 replies to this topic

#1 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Starting the early planing phase of making a trip up to Alaska, kindof hoping people that have done the trip before can help out. First question how to get up there:

Any idea how long it would take to drive to anchorage via the british columbia route?

I would like to get to the kenai peninsula, I was on the alaska marine highway site and could figure out if I can ship my truck there. Has anyone used the ferry system to get around with a truck?

Thanks,

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Starting the early planing phase of making a trip up to Alaska, kindof hoping people that have done the trip before can help out. First question how to get up there:

Any idea how long it would take to drive to anchorage via the british columbia route?

I would like to get to the kenai peninsula, I was on the alaska marine highway site and could figure out if I can ship my truck there. Has anyone used the ferry system to get around with a truck?

Thanks,

Check out my travel blog on Denali and Alaska.

I used the marine highway for at least one way of my 4 trips.

Don't know where you live so a drive time to Anchorage would need more info.

We have always taken our car/truck on the ferry.

In 2011 to Denali we boarded in Bellingham Wa. and went to Haynes Ak.to start our drive to Denali. The cost for truck+2 people+ stateroom for 3 nights was under $2,000 sounds like a bunch but we didn't want to drive all the 3,500 + miles from home to Denali.

PM me for more info if you would like.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info, I will be starting from SF bay area, but I have a friend that lives in Saattle. So I was thinking of driving up there the weekend before we depart and drop my turck off, fly home and go back the the next week and start our trip from there. But I think drive time would still be 4-5 days from there, does that sound right?

So we might go plan B, fly up and rent something, and do some car camping

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

We've been thinking about doing the ferry trip too, but man, that's a lot of cash to get the rig up there.  We'd probably go for 3 weeks with the dog so that's worth something.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks for the info, I will be starting from SF bay area, but I have a friend that lives in Saattle. So I was thinking of driving up there the weekend before we depart and drop my turck off, fly home and go back the the next week and start our trip from there. But I think drive time would still be 4-5 days from there, does that sound right?

So we might go plan B, fly up and rent something, and do some car camping

You might check with Ted  he did a rental and had a good time.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Trip to AK still on my list to do.  I would like to drive one way and ferry the other. Retired and still hard to make a block of 4 to 8 weeks to make the trip. May do next year, what is the best time of the year to go?

Bill

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I did some fare checks on the ferry.

On the Columbia out of Bellingham Wa.It leaves Friday evening and it's 3 nights to Haynes Ak.. Reason to Haynes is that was our starting point on the drive to Denali. Or you can get off in Skagway,next stop 15 miles away by boat.

The fare for a truck less than 19',two passengers , inside two person berth,is just under $2,000. On the smaller ferry's we would sleep on deck but that is usually only for a night.

The trip to Haynes is 3 nights and there are more walk on people we have found that board in Bellingham. So it's harder to get someplace to set up for the nights on deck. There are free showers on board so that is a plus if you just sleep in the lounges,which will work but you have to remove your gear during the day.That isn't a problem as you get to visit your vehicle at times during the trip.Several times during the day and night. If you take a dog you need to go to your vehicle to tend to it.

It's something that can be done.But we still prefer the berth it's only less than $400 for the 3 nights.

IMO to ferry up is the best way as you don't have to worry about being back to the ferry terminal to catch the ferry.

Another way is to drive to Port Hardy up Vancouver Island to catch the BC ferry Northern Expedition to Prince Rupert it's about $700 same two people plus vehicle. It's an 11 hour trip there so you don't have to get a berth ,than get the Alaskan ferry there to other ports in the southeast.

We have done the BC ferry 3 of our trips because we had plans to visit places in the SE,so catching the smaller ferry's worked and took us to some great places.

Our last trip (check my blog) we had 5 weeks planned for the trip.With driving to Prince Rupert at the end of the trip to catch the ferry to Port Hardy,than drive the rest of the way home from there.

It's shorter time wise to at least ferry one way. Plus the trip on the ferry is great. So much to see and do aboard.

All of this depends on what you want to do in Alaska and how much time and money you want to invest.

I haven't done a comparison on driving both ways to using the ferry but gas is expensive through Canada and Alaska, so to me I don't even think about not taking the ferry. Although we drove 5,500 miles in and around Alaska,Yukon and BC and I think the ferry was maybe 3,000+ miles.

Ted did a trip there where he flew up than rented a small motor home for a week or so than had a cruise planned for the return trip home.

You could fly both ways with getting a rental camper for a your time there,if that is an option.

There are many different ways to doing a trip up north.

Hope I have been some help.

Frank

#8 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

With gas being the cost it is 2,000 for vehicle, cabin etc does not seem too bad to get from bellingham to haines or skagway Alaska.

I think you have to sleep on the floor on the boat.  The stewards will come around at night and kick you off the seats..  So to the floor you go.  Better have a mattress with you up there.

Though there is camping allowed on one of the upper decks.

You can only go on the deck to attend your dog when the ferry is stopped in a a port.

From Skagway to anchorage is about 870 miles.  Haines would be I would guess 700 to Anchorage.  Anchorage to Homer is 220 miles.

Gas is about 6.00 a gallon up here now..  US gallon...

enjoy the planning and trip.

Robbie (Watson Lake, Yukon)

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

I think changes have been made about sleeping in the lounge areas. As long as you don't have your gear all over the place and gone by morning  it works. The Columbia is not as laid back as the smaller ferry's but I think a berth is still in order for that long trip.

On some of the small ferry's you can set up a tent on the solarium deck in designated  areas, but no cooking. Although I have seen some campers doing some light cooking.

The car deck has regular openings especially on the longer routes ,at least every 4 hours as I remember from last trip.

It all works out and is a fun way to travel.

Gas at $6 a gallon it seems more of a value to at least travel one way by ferry.

Frank

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

From Skagway to anchorage is about 870 miles.  Haines would be I would guess 700 to Anchorage.  Anchorage to Homer is 220 miles.

Gas is about 6.00 a gallon up here now..  US gallon...

Robbie (Watson Lake, Yukon)

Would you share the current price for diesel, per US gallon, please sir?

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users