37 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

If we find ourselves in California's Mother Lode, Sweetie Pies has great cinnamon rolls in Placerville.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

For those traveling hwy 4 and going through Murphys make a stop at  Aria artisan bakery, across from the hotel.

Their scones,muffins and biscuits are great. They also have a lot of breads and other bakery goodies.

We always plan on a visit there to have a snack or two and get some to take with us for later.

They are closed Monday,Tuesday.

Enjoy

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Platano

Platano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO / Prescott, AZ

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Feed Barn Cafe in Silver Lake, Oregon (on OR 31 between Bend and Lakeview)

Some friends of mine stopped there yesterday on the way back from Summer Lake and raved about the desserts, pies. 

One friend had Buttermilk pie, and recommended it.

gallery_2431_332_25823.jpg

I've been through Silver Lake more times than I can count but never saw anything that looked worth stopping for...I wonder if this place is under new management.  I probably shouldn't recommend a spot without trying it myself..but these friends are from the South and know pie.  ;)

I'll do a day-trip drive soon, this nice Oregon outback loop, and stop at the Feed Barn for dessert so I can speak from personal experience.

:)

Wow! Wish I'd known about this.  Was just in the Silver Lake / Summer Lake area in mid-July.  Better luck next time. 

2006 Tundra 4x4 Dbl Cab, 2012 FWC Hawk.

#14 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Just outside of Sandpoint, ID in  Ponderay there is a place called The Hoot Owl Cafe that has amazing cinnamon rolls.  Well worth the stop if you are passing through.

Edited by Cayuse, 30 October 2014 - 09:46 PM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#15 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:53 PM

We always visit the Park Avenue Bakery in Helena Montana on the south side of town.  I enjoy the Ciabatta bread since I bake bread as a hobby and like to see what taste each baker creates from good flour, yeast, salt and water.  The Wheat Montana bakery at exit 274 on interstate 90, 60 miles south of Helena on route 287, is a good stop for a sweat roll snack but I am a yeast and flour aficionado and sugar just covers up the good parts, the taste of the yeast.  

Our favorite flour:  Dakota Mills bread flour

Our favorite yeast:  Hodgson Mill, regular not fast

Our secret to great yeast taste:  Triple rise, once as batter, once as dough, and once in the baking pans

Our favorite cinnamon:  Penzeys (mail order) China if you like zing, Vietnamese if you like lots of zing, 

WARNING:  if you make homemade sweet rolls with fresh Penzeys China or Vietnamese 

cinnamon then every other sweet roll will taste flat (yes, I am so afflicted but the

cinnamon high was worth it)

Edited by iowahiker, 25 August 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#16 Wu Wei

Wu Wei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNL Tahoe

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Since some of you are going to be some what in the area or a short drive from Graeagle.  You have to try Graeagle Mill works shop for the best homemade snickerdoddles around, plus other assorted goodies for the sweet tooth.  They are also very friendly..

#17 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:15 AM

The Sugar Shack Bakery in Reedsport, on the Oregon coast, on route 38 a few blocks east of the route 101 and route 38 junction.   The name says it all but we enjoyed the bakery items they made with nuts best. 

#18 liftedlimo

liftedlimo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVancouver, wa

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:19 AM

Just past the sugar shack, down 101 in Winchester Bay right on the road is a great bakery that the name escapes me . I used to sugar shack it but now I go strait to Winchester for the giant rolls and coffee.

#19 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

I do a lot of bicycling in Coastal Marin and Sonoma Counties and have a keen eye for delicious calories.

The Bovine Bakery in Point Reyes Station, CA.  My favorites are the Morning Bun, Armando Bun, Pain au Chocolat, and the Cheese Twists.

They also make some delicious and eclectic pizzas around lunch time!

The Tomales Bakery in Tomales, CA.  Only open Thursday through Sunday I believe, and they tend to close around 4:00 or so.  All their pastries are delicious as are their Pizzettes, and their lemonade is also first rate.

Wildflour Bakery in Freestone, CA. (Near Bodega)  Brick oven breads both savory and sweet.  My favorites are the Goat cheese flat and the Cheese Fougasse. Open Thursday through Monday.

#20 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:58 AM

Schat's in Bishop. Chileno chili pepper cheese bread. Dangerous stuff. I'll also second Kiva as Bill mentioned.

There's a Paul Schat's Bakery in Carson City now (next to Sportsman's Warehouse).  I think he's a son or brother of Eric Schat's in Bishop.

http://www.schatsbakeries.com/

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users