2 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

Not sure which thread is best for this. Come out this afternoon and look at the voltmeter in the camper. 11.27 volts. Ack! Last weekend while camping in full sun I was getting over 14 volts.  I normally run the batteries in parallel but I decided it might be better, especially since the solar is working so well to just run the camper battery off the solar by itself. Seemed to work quite well while I was camping. Disconnected the panel input, still getting 18 volts from the solar panel. Controller charge light is on and green but its not charging. Thats all I've looked at so far. This weekend I'll delve into it some more. 

Just wondering if anyone has had a failure like that. According to the manual I should not a have a green light at this point.

Morningstar sunsaver 20. Well all I was cooling down was my condiments at least.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

When my charge controller died it was completely dead -- no lights at all.  AND it didn't put out any amps.

But mine was a different brand of charger...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I recently experienced a similar problem (Morningstar sun saver 15 mppt and 2 100W panels in series). Voltmeter display  in house wiring showing 12,6V with lots of sun (should have been 14V+). Lights on controller indicated panel not connected. Voltmeter check on solar leads when disconnected from controller showed 39.6V. Same leads connected to "turnigy 130 watt meter" showed 5.6V. Separated the 2 panels and applied each panel separately to the meters and then the controller successfully. reconnected the panels together, and plugged into the controller. Controller charging light came on and house voltmeter now reading 14.1 V. I am assuming one of the MC4 connecters was not making a good contact. If it happens again, I will replace all 6 connectors (one pair on each panel, and one pair on the camper roof to connect to controller).

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users