• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

I originally put in the 40lb Suspa struts. I used them several times and didn't think it was quite enough.

So then I installed the 100lb Suspa struts. Similar price and brackets as above.

They work amazing well. They roof lifts itself without much of any effort. I have 3 solar panels on the roof but they are all flexible panels that probably weigh less than 30 lbs all together.

There is a little extra pulling to put the roof down. But I start pulling down the far side and then the side by the door. The weight of the roof works with you and little effort.

I know there are several reports of danger using more than 40-60lbs, but it works great for me. I've never had it pop up on it's own. It takes just a little push from the door side and up it goes. No effort at all.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

I went back to the original thread by   the saints. " roof lifter helper thingies".

The struts that I and others ordered are    #C16-15952  40# cost is $30 still. The bracket I used is  #P67-00203, which is an angled one in coated black. #P67-00205 is a flat bracket also in black. They cost $3 apiece.

So my memory didn't fail me , total cost would be 4 struts $120 ,8 brackets $24  $144 out the door!

Don't know where or why you were directed to the  $100 struts. I think the struts you asked about have a different attachment end style. Or maybe higher due to total length. Mine are 36" opened.

There are other members who also have this # strut plus I think it was the one used from the factory FWC/ACT.

Hope this helps.

PM me if you want more info.

Frank

Hawks use 36" and Eagles use 40"... that's the 'rub' ... 40" are $100.  Can't use 36" which are $30. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:40 AM

Here is what is in the FWC install PDF

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 3.27.06 PM.png

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#24 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

Mine are 50# and work great. They cost $22.30

http://www.wanderthe...e-27#entry86547

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#25 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

A great discussion here.  A number of you have mentioned using 60#, 80#, or as much as 100# struts to address your lifting needs.  In my case I chose the 60# Suspa and have successfully used a pair of them (inside, front-only) for my Grandby's ~12-ft long roof.  From my read of these posts It's been suggested that FWC wouldn't recommend using anything more than 40# in any of its roof applications.  Can anyone point me to the rationale or basis behind this?  Is there any reason to believe that my 60#ers are overkill?  Or possibly even a danger to occupants?  Thanks,

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#26 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

Even with my Kayak on top the 40# struts are enough but I'm still a youngster. My guess is FWC is being very conservative and cya just in case.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#27 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:54 PM

Above a certain weight, it's actually harder to pull the roof down than it is to put it up.
With my roof weight this is probably closest to 80lbs.
Mine springs up to action easily with just a tiny push. Coming down is a little tougher, but then I have gravity working with me instead of against me. I like it this way, but it's not for everyone.

Edited by DrJ, 17 August 2014 - 10:55 PM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

Here is what is in the FWC install PDF

I guess I am being hardheaded here. I just don't understand why you would have to go with a 40" strut with a standard roof.

Is that a miss print  and they mean the taller liner?

Doesn't matter to me though. My Bobcat which is similar to the Eagle only 5" or so wider works great with the 36" struts.

The bottom line It's  one of the best mods I have done to my camper.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#29 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

Are we talking about # or "

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#30 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:10 PM

A great discussion here.  A number of you have mentioned using 60#, 80#, or as much as 100# struts to address your lifting needs.  In my case I chose the 60# Suspa and have successfully used a pair of them (inside, front-only) for my Grandby's ~12-ft long roof.  From my read of these posts It's been suggested that FWC wouldn't recommend using anything more than 40# in any of its roof applications.  Can anyone point me to the rationale or basis behind this?  Is there any reason to believe that my 60#ers are overkill?  Or possibly even a danger to occupants?  Thanks,
Ricso

Don't forget that FWC is probably talking about their current-style install of four exterior struts, where many here using the higher number ones are using two internal struts. As an example, I have two 20# on the rear and two 30# on the front, whic might produce similar forces to two 50# internal ones.

Also, the mounting of the external ones is into the side of the frame members, while the internal ones appear to be into the underside of the roof. Side-mounts may be weaker, ie the recent recall on the exterior mounted strut mounts.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users