23 replies to this topic

#1 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

Anyone have any favorites...when it's just my wife and I, we usually keep happy hour pretty simple - homemade guac/chips, chees/crackers, etc.

We are camping with a bunch a families this weekend (about 14-16 adults and 12 children) and we are bringing apps...

I generally like anything prosciutto-wrapped (figs, mellon, etc.) and know that we will be making guac and bringing chips.  Will also likely pick up some nice cheeses and meats and may do a smoked salmon/cream cheese/herb cracker...

Any simplish ideas?

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:23 PM

I do a couple of group trips. My go to apps are quesadillas, either chicken, steak or carnitas. I also go with the frozen teriyaki skewers, depending on group size either hand them out or break them up into bite size with toothpicks. I've also done english muffin pizzas. 

Kids are usually happy with a plain cheese quesadilla. Depends on how much work you want to go to. I've seen deep fried beer battered wings, but thats a pain (and it for a really big group). Bacon wrapped cheese filled peppers. A little pre prep at home helps a lot for certain things. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:12 AM

I'll keep it simple.

A block of cream cheese, dump shrimp or crab in cocktail sauce on top, place Wheat Thins in a bowl. 

Use Wheat Thins to scoop up cream cheese, cocktail sauce and shrimp/crab.

Yum, and virtually no preparation time.

#4 Mr. Vertical

Mr. Vertical

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Location80461

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

As a Base we start with this, add anything, Miller Baking Co, everything is So So Good & then Some *****

.http://www.pretzilla...etzelbites.html

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

trail mix

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

shoestring,

I usually tend to go with nice cheeses, smoked salmon, and crackers like you mentioned. But right now I have tomatoes and basil in the garden. So my go to this time of the year simply bruschetta and a baguette. If you don't have fresh garden grown tomatoes, get some good tomatoes at a farmer's market. They have so much better flavor than store bought. Make up the bruschette in advance and just bring it in a tupperware. Put it out with a spoon and bread slices and let people self serve. Doesn't get much easier.

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

As a Base we start with this, add anything, Miller Baking Co, everything is So So Good & then Some *****

.http://www.pretzilla...etzelbites.html

those look tasty...not gonna happen for this weekend though.

#8 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

shoestring,

I usually tend to go with nice cheeses, smoked salmon, and crackers like you mentioned. But right now I have tomatoes and basil in the garden. So my go to this time of the year simply bruschetta and a baguette. If you don't have fresh garden grown tomatoes, get some good tomatoes at a farmer's market. They have so much better flavor than store bought. Make up the bruschette in advance and just bring it in a tupperware. Put it out with a spoon and bread slices and let people self serve. Doesn't get much easier.

Ted

yeah ted, we do this a lot too...fresh tomatoes, basil and good fresh bread are hard to beat.

#9 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

trail mix

i think we would catch a ton of slack if we were tasked with bringing apps and showed up with trail mix...not that i don't love it, but i don't think it works for this purpose : )

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Wild Hickory Nuts, worked for Euell Gibbins.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users