28 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

Unexpectedly have a four day weekend. Been thinking of doing black rock and or sheldon nwr this summer. I was going to wait until Labor Day for that four day weekend but why fight the holiday crowds if I don't have to. Not much time to plan though. I'm thinking (thanks Mark for the map) of A to A2 to X to A1 and then over to Cedarville and back. 

140-Gerlach_zpsa68ce559.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:01 AM

Craig, do hit Virgin Valley! If you like to fish, Knott Creek, Onion Valley and the Blue Lake area are all good. Don't miss Kinney Camp either.

I am haunted by waters

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

You're welcome, Craig (for the map). :)  Umm...that definitely looks like a map I made, it's my "style"...but I can't find it.  Where did I post this previously?

That loop you suggest looks good...I'm not sure I've ever been on the "x" section -- maybe once long ago.  And there are lots of side-roads off those (relatively) main roads...as long as you have a good map and GPS to avoid getting lost. ;)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'll 2nd WS's comment,--- you can even stop by the Virgin Valley CG and see where my 3 and 1 frig went crazy :wacko: and I almost blew myself up on the ridge just outside of the cg :D . Maybe even let your pup take a swim in the tule pond reserved for kids and folks over 65 :P (seemed the only water around-even Big Spring res was empty) anywhere! If you take the route from Adel on 140 to Cederville back home remember they just had a pretty good sized fire in that country! Lot's of places to go in that country, so enjoy!  

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

You definitely don't want to do this over Labor Day weekend. That is when Burning Man takes place. You and 60,000 of your closest friends will be at Black Rock. :o

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,316 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

Craig, just so you are aware -

A side note - On 17 July 2014 both Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge and Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge went into fire restrictions. Along with the usual regulations commonly seen on National Forest and BLM public lands, the Fish & Wildlife Service requires all vehicles to carry -

All motorized vehicles must carry the following equipment:
1) one shovel not less than 26 inches in overall length, with a blade not less than eight inches wide;
2) one water container of at least one gallon filled to capacity or a 2.5 pound fully charged fire extinguisher and;
3) one axe or Pulaski with a handle at least 26 inches in length and a head weight of not less than two pounds.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hmmm, maybe my 5gal backpump and McLeod might not be enough? Okay, I can add a pulaski onto my shovel mount. Hope they don't mind I have foam in my 2.5 gal extinguisher.

I don't know about doing virgin valley this time. Would screw up my loop and it looks like some pretty minor roads to connect to 140. I'll think about it.

I was hoping the burners would stay on the playa and not mosey on up to the NWR. If I can do it this weekend I won't have to worry about it. 

Mark, you made that map in this thread. http://www.wanderthe...feb/?hl=sheldon

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:39 AM

Mark, you made that map in this thread. http://www.wanderthe...feb/?hl=sheldon

Ah yes...now I remember.

It's been my experience that Burners stick around the event pretty closely while it's going on (limited experience -- I showed up one year not realizing it was Burning Week, camped near Black Rock Point and wasn't bothered)...but when it's over they can disperse and possibly inundate the area for a large radius.

But as you say, you're planning to be there well before the event, so probably not an issue at all.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:09 AM

I just googled earthed it. Looks like I can pretty easily hit 140. So it'll be all time and distance by then. I have to remind myself I'll be on some less than high speed roads. Or I could even take a different loop coming home. I want to do the highrock area sometime by itself, have a basecamp and explore with the Jeep. So many choices.

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

I was slightly surprised to see google earth zoomed right in to Vya. I'll find out tomorrow if I still have four days. We didn't exactly have good production today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users