• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi, my name’s Bob and it might be a while before I can get out to wander the west, but this site is the best source for information about Alaskan campers that I have found.  Alaskans are hard to find here in the southeast, so when one popped up not too far away, I went for it.  It’s a 1978 8 foot NCO that’s in good condition for its age.  The couple that I bought it from got it about 1991 and stored in in their barn when not in use.  There are no issues with rot, bugs or mice.  I’m clipping the rear end for a better fit in my truck, cleaning and re-varnishing the wood and upgrading the electrical.

I’ve posted about it in my blog here:  http://thisoldcamper.com/1978-alaskan/

alaskan-up.jpg

Thanks again for all the information available on the site.

Edited by thisoldcamper, 26 August 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#2 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Welcome to WtW!  That '78 look like it's in really great shape. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#3 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Nice find! They are interesting campers. I get all kinds of unsolicited offers on mine. Could I ask, are those deadbolts on the upper and lower parts of the dutch door? My 1966? does not have any good way to secure the camper from the inside.

#4 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

My camper doors have slide bolts on them so that they can be locked from the inside. I removed the lower alminum off of the sides yesterday and only found two quarter sized rot spots on each of the front/side/floor joints... not a problem.  I will probably put that silver rubbery flashing tape on the corners before I put the aluminum back on.

#5 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

put a little smiths CPES on those rot spots before you put it back together...it'll stop the rot in its tracks

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#6 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

I did spray some rustoleum leakstop rubberized spray on the bottom plywood floor edge. Hopefully, that will stop any wicking into the wood.

alaskan-lower-left-rear.jpg?w=640&h=480

here's a picture after the rear storage box was removed flush with the rest of the bottom.

Edited by thisoldcamper, 30 August 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#7 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

the smiths soaks into the wood, strengthens it and stops the rot...raise the camper off the deck with a few cross floor shims to get some air circulation under the camper.  Trapped water does more damage than anything....you're headed down the right road ;)

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#8 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:58 PM

Here's the re-worked curbside - the box is 3" skinnier:

alaskan-curb-side-bottom.jpg?w=640

And the re-worked streetside:

alaskan-roud-side-bottom.jpg?w=640&h=480

I added a power cord inlet, a 12 volt & 110 volt outlet to feed the top half, and moved the water inlet from the bedrails to the back... and I slapped some paint on the bottom half.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

nice job.....

it's amazing what a little alignment and fresh paint will do for your sense of accomplishment....

and a bit of aluminum trim ;) Where is your sink drain...it's amazing the differences from one to another for placement of utility feeds.

#10 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 01 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hey Rusty, the hole in the overhang is where the sink drain used to come out of in 2" ABS.  It then went thru the box that I removed and had a outlet on the back.  I'm going to put a rubber grommet in the hole and just run a hose out of the drain - thru the grommet and out the back on the outside of the camper.  The extra AC plugs are so I can put outlets on the lower half of the camper.  Rather than have a permanent umbilical, I'm just going to run an extension cord between the existing inlet on the top and the new outlet on the bottom.  I'll be able to have power in both top and bottom, or just the top or just the bottom.

Ain't paint great?  I'm going to polish up the aluminum windows and eyebrows, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaskan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users