#1 zana

zana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvo, UT

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

Hi,

I bought a new Hawk and one of the first time I used it, I forgot to open one of the latches and I bent the roof. :-(

Any idea on how to fix it??

Thanks!

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

Can you post a couple of photos of the damage -- so we can see what it looks like?

I won't be any help...but others probably can give advice if they know the exact nature of the problem.

And my condolences.  :(

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

I put the post below on the other thread you commented on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That will buff out.  :blink:

I backed out of my side RV pad with the top up (2002 Hawk). Hit the Hawk back roof with the 2x6 on the roof of my house. It was sharper and a deeper bend than you have. I also bent the hinge on the lift panel.  Boy was I mad at myself.  :angry:  

Repaired by doing this.  I have some large "C" clamps, put a 2" sq steel tube cross the top. Used a 16" "C" clamp under the bend and on the 2" tube. Slowly tightened  the "C" clamp until the bend was touching the 2" tube. When I loosed the "C" clamp it still had a small bend. I put a spacer under each end of the 2" sq tube and tightened the "C" clamp going a little over what would have been straight.  Loosened and needed a little more, so tightened just a little more. I got it almost straight and the hinge also pulled straight. Has to patch a small crack in the lift panel with a sandwich  of alum sheet and pot rivets. Not the end of the world, but you will always see it when others will not. 

Bill

#4 zana

zana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvo, UT

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:53 AM

Here you go. It's not a lot of damage, I think, but the camper is brand new... :-(rsz_img_6228.jpg

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:25 AM

Trade it in !! I hate when stuff like that happens !!

Edited by fish more, 29 August 2014 - 05:26 AM.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Ouch, a one piece roof. Not sure you will ever get the wrinkle out of the top. If does not look that bent from the picture. Does is close tight? If it does I would just put a little sealer where the trim has pulled away, the soft side is just behind the trim.  

Unless you want to tackle a big job you might want to talk to FWC if you want it perfect again. Trim would have to come off, soft side pulled off in the area and inside pulled off to get any backing behind the top to try to straighten the wrinkle. 

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Well stuff happens. Mine were when it was fairly new also.

DSC_01431_zpsb2c29cac.jpg

DSC_01441_zps69e37f3c.jpg

Fortunately I haven't backed into a fire hydrant yet. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 bsharp007

bsharp007

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I did the exact same thing, it was dark and I missed one of the latches. I pushed much of the damage out manually from the inside and pretty much forgot about it.  As long as the top seals and closes properly.

I think I even asked a body shop repair and was told it wouldn't be a cheap fix.

Will,  2019 Ford F150 with a 2022 Hawk

#9 zana

zana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationProvo, UT

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

So is it OK to hit the roof from the inside to straighten it? No risk of damage?

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Don't know about that IMO.You might hurt the headliner.

A few years ago I forgot to unlatch a rear side one and the roof got caught on the awning mount I have above the rear door.

I tried every thing on site to get the lip of the trim freed from the mount.The last resort was to make a small cut in the lip and break a small section of the trim.

Still works the same just a cosmetic thing.

Bill has probably the best solution, just caulk the seem and remember to UN LATCH all next time.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users