23 replies to this topic

#1 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

I have a 99 Grandby with about 3000 cycles on the top.  I went up to Woodland to see about a new liner and found out no longer are outer storm flaps used....

I can't Imagine how to cross ventilate in a blowing rainstorm without them??  I made some stand off blocks with wood and Velcro which hold bottoms of flap out 5 inches as an awning.  And, at night they allow complete privacy from outsiders looking in. FWC told me they would not make me a liner with the storm flaps, so I'm trying to get along patching what I have.

Are all new users fair weather only campers and don't care if others see into their home at night????

img_8578-49288706.jpg?ts=1410924657

barry_main_01.jpg

Edited by 180pilot, 17 September 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

Take a ride to ATC and check on a new liner from them,  They will make you a liner for your Grandby as they did for mine, and they have removable storm flaps, the best of both worlds.

BTW, I fly a 210 Centurion.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think I must have the newer version too.  There's the netting, clear window and the vinyl material on the inside.  We just kind of open one corner to get a nice breeze.  You also get "covers" for the outside if you were hit by a big storm but they come off completely and we just store them in an old foldup chair nylon bag in case we ever need them.  They Velcro on to the sides if you need them.  Seems to work pretty well.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

I have a 99 Grandby with about 3000 cycles on the top.  I went up to Woodland to see about a new liner and found out no longer are outer storm flaps used....

I can't Imagine how to cross ventilate in a blowing rainstorm without them??  I made some stand off blocks with wood and Velcro which hold bottoms of flap out 5 inches as an awning.  And, at night they allow complete privacy from outsiders looking in. FWC told me they would not make me a liner with the storm flaps, so I'm trying to get along patching what I have.

Are all new users fair weather only campers and don't care if others see into their home at night????

I agree, 180pilot.  I use my flaps all the time as little awnings in rain, snow or even direct sun.  All Terrain Campers make replacement liners for FWCs all the time and as K6ON says, the new liners have removable flaps--the best of both worlds. 

Shopping at ATC will also likely save you a few bucks!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#5 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

I did go by ATC, too.....it's just the look of their operation appears "here today gone tomorrow" sort off.  And, they will not use more modern materials, so they told me about 3 yrs ago anyway.    They could not offer the composite end lifting plates or newer one piece roof.  The wood end plate on my front is cracked on backside from doing lifts below freezing, and has mold on back side where I cannot get at it.   I also suspect mold in the fiberglass matting inside the roof.  Want newer foam insulation of new roof..

Anyone have photos of the "covers" for the windows, first time I've heard of them????

Doing the FWC refit will be $$$ as new roof and Arctic liner will be needed,  I think the quote was around $3000-4000 as I remember.

180 Cessna  and a Citabria  own me.....

Edited by 180pilot, 17 September 2014 - 06:30 PM.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:46 PM

Doing the FWC refit will be $$$ as new roof and Arctic liner will be needed,  I think the quote was around $3000-4000 as I remember.

180 Cessna  and a Citabria  own me.....

Sounds like you are where I was at with my 2002 Hawk. Wanted some of the new upgrades (structure) cost to do was high. High enough that when I penciled it out I sold the 2002 and found a 2013 Hawk with the new panels, new rear door, new roof, insulation and so much more. I did find the 2013 used (6 months old) before I sold the 2002.  You may want to do the same.

#7 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:07 PM

Before you write off ATC, you might look at the ATC forum on here, and see what people say about their ATC, the construction, and customer service. You'll also find lots of pictures.

http://www.wanderthe...er-discussions/

I don't own an ATC, nor do I work for them, I have a 96 FWC Grandby, but ATC has been doing all the work on my camper after a couple unpleasant  experiences with FWC.

Roger on the airplanes owning you :)

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#8 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

If I wasn't an A&P, I'd be in poor house..

I still would prefer the carbon fiber lift panels, perhaps I could put those in myself first. But, that one piece roof looks like a lot less leak chasing, which I'm getting tired of.  It is certainly good to get some references, thank you.

The old FWC did me wrong also but was within one year of owning it, about 2000.  They used zinc coated steel rivets in all the hinges of the end panels and they all rusted leaving brown stains on bed, and Arctic liner.  Took it in to get them all replaced with the Aluminum ones that were supposed to be used.  And D---- if they did not replace them with exact same zinc coated.  Boy was I pissed, knowing drilling those out a second time would most likely compromise the substrate tubing,  I just kept all the hinges and rivet heads coated with Boeshield T-9, which when dried, just left a clear waxy coating that stopped the rusting for about 10 yrs.........

Got to do something soom, getting a lot of pin holes in the folded areas and chasing them all the time with 

McNett Seam Seal.

Edited by 180pilot, 18 September 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#9 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

About the new models????  I see all those lift struts,???? leads me to believe the new roof is much heavier then mine????  And the struts are right in the way of getting up into the bed area??  

#10 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

About the new models????  I see all those lift struts,???? leads me to believe the new roof is much heavier then mine????  And the struts are right in the way of getting up into the bed area??  

I would think the new roof would be lighter. If that is your camper in the top pic you have a short cabover and not the 48 in cabover. My 2002 had the short cabover and was not a problem to lift. The 48 in cabover you are lifting farther back and the struts help. Most owners have added the struts to the outside and FWC is now offering then on the outside. My used Hawk came with the struts inside and they are not in my way.

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users