21 replies to this topic

#1 lcgeek

lcgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hello Wanderers!  

I am trying to venture into the truck camper world. I have been a Toyota land cruiser and tent camper guy.  But just bought a 97 F250 shortbed to test the waters in truck/camper world.   I am wondering about the real world use of taking a camper to camp, taking it off rig, and therefore leaving the camper at camp while the truck can go exploring. 

FWC, ATC, Phoenix - all have their advantages.  In another camp, pun intended, are the likes of Northstar, Hallmark, and Outfitter.  Of course there are many more.  One of the big differences I see but not often mentioned is the campability (new word? :) when the camper is off the truck.   This is not an option of FWC and ATC, but is on Northstar, HM, and Outfitter.  I am sure there are many sides of this story, none necessarily correct or right - a preference thing.  Just curious about some real use cases for and against the need/want to leave a camper at camp or not.

Part of me likes the idea of the FWC/ATC lightness and just take it everywhere.  The other side of me could see a need to setup the camper at camp, leave it there while mamma cooks breakfast and I am launching the boat at the ramp 5 miles away.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or input you have on this.

JT

#2 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

My 2 cents ... if you want to take it off. FWC/ATC defeats the purpose ... its designed to go with you! FWIW most guys can take one off in about 40 mins or so. You would need to drop it on a platform for sure.

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Some form of floor support will be necessary if you're going to be in it while it is off of the truck. I see where you're going with this, and on those trips I bring a tow'd rather than go thru the drill of R&Ring the camper.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

The idea of using the camper as a base camp is a nice idea, but in reality taking it off then putting it back on in the field isn't too appealing.  I know part of Northstar marketing is the ability to base camp their unit.  I haven't seen any camper used as a base camp in practice.  Maybe others have.

#5 lcgeek

lcgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

The idea of using the camper as a base camp is a nice idea, but in reality taking it off then putting it back on in the field isn't too appealing.  I know part of Northstar marketing is the ability to base camp their unit.  I haven't seen any camper used as a base camp in practice.  Maybe others have.

Yes, that's the heart of what I'm trying to understand...does anyone REALLY use the base camp concept in practice or is that a marketing footnote for naiive first time wannabe wanderers :)

JT

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

I think the only pickup campers I've seen used off the truck are those parked here and there in the national forests occupied by homeless people.

But the idea of being able to drive off from your camping-dwelling is a good one and a common one if you're staying in a camp trailer -- that's what's great about trailers.

I frequently wish I could drive off from camp at a moments notice without having to pack up my camper.  And when I get to a point that I no longer care about the ability to go just about anywhere I'll ditch the camper and switch to trailer camping.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#7 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

The only times I have seen truck campers off-loaded and used is at Camp Lotus, where the owners camped for a week and needed their truck to shuttle their kayaks daily.  When I had a camper that lent itself to being off-loaded (electric jacks, Fastguns, etc) I never bothered to do so.  Seemed like too much effort after a long drive, and took away time from the activity that I went camping to enjoy.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#8 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Yes, that's the heart of what I'm trying to understand...does anyone REALLY use the base camp concept in practice or is that a marketing footnote for naiive first time wannabe wanderers :)

JT

It takes a few trips to figure out how to use and configure your camper.  This includes what to bring and how to stow it.  We've had ours almost two years now.  Many trips we're driving somewhere almost everyday.  It takes me about 15 minutes to get my rig ready move for the day.  Most of the time I'm waiting on my wife and son or someone else to go, but the truck is ready to move.

The bigger benefit to us for having a camper is we now get out almost every month with some months multiple times.

Edited by JHa6av8r, 18 September 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:04 PM

Another consideration regarding the "base camp" concept is that you must bring your camper jacks along on each trip.  You won't find many folks on this forum who travel with jacks attached . . . . extra weight and easy to snag in an off road situation.

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 lcgeek

lcgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:53 AM

thanks everyone for your valuable real world input!  Very, very helpful!!!

JT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users