• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:56 AM

Link to report on my BLOG May read better I copied below over and lost some formatting

Solar on the roof.

SEPTEMBER 18, 2014

SOLAR ON THE ROOF.

After using the solar in a bag for a while I saw we were missing out on times we could be charging the batteries. If we are in a campground for a few days the solar in a bag worked great. If we were traveling each day the truck kept the batteries up. If we were stopping and looking at things, or touring a museum etc the batteries were not getting charged.  I had been looking at a roof top solar panel. I got Amazon gift cards from my two daughters for my birthday, enough to buy the panel I was looking at.  

Total time of install was about 4 hours.  I looked at the new flex panels, they are light but need to be glued down or screwed down. I did not want to put any holes in the one piece roof and not sure about the glue. I purchased a 100w Renogy panel kit that came with a 30 amp controller. My camper had a factory installed solar plug on the roof. It also had Yakima track and nuts so it made it a simple mount.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Solar on the roof.

P1130437.jpg
First step was  two five foot alum angles. Home Depot wanted $60 for two 8 foot lengths. I went to a local steel supply and got two lengths cut to 5 foot for $20.  It was structural angle so it had a radius on the inside corner. Had to space out the screws so the panel set flat.  Used brass screws as I had some, stainless would have been nicer but the brass will not rust.
P1130438.jpg

Pictures showing the inside radius.
P1130440.jpg

Used a brass nut to space the panel over.
P1130441.jpg

Angles attached to the panel, 6 1/2 inches on each side. Total weight completed was around 18 pounds.
P1130454.jpg

Had to space the panel up so it could be set over the solar plug. Made the spacer out of some 1/4" alum stock I had. Screws and washers are stainless.

Panel ready to mount. 
P1130436.jpg

P1130442.jpg

Could not find a 90 degree plug anywhere. Made a small 90 degree bracket, held in place with tie wraps. This will keep the plug from rubbing the panel.
P1130444.jpg

Panel mounted all wires out of sight.  

View from the back.
P1130455.jpg
With the roof done it was time to mount the controller inside and wire everything up. 

First item was unwiring the small controller on the solar in a bag. I can now plug it in and send the full voltage to the 30 amp controller.
P1130445.jpg

Mounted the controller next to the front dinette seat. Enough out of the way but still able to check the LED's to see if charging. 
P1130447.jpg

This was the one error I made on the install. the back cushion hit the controller. Had to move it forward. 
P1130448.jpg

The cushion now fit. Veronica tested and seating and said the controller was not in the way.

P1130449.jpg
I used 10 gage wire from the controller to the battery. 12 gage is what FWC used on the solar from the roof so I used the same size to the controller.  Battery voltage went up to 14.6 volts as soon as I put in the fuses.  This will keep the batteries up all the time.  Next project may be a Trimeteric meter more a want that a need. 

P1130446.jpg

Edited by billharr, 19 September 2014 - 01:58 AM.

#2 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

Bill,

Great work as always.

Wish I had your patience when I install something.

I think that setup will serve you well.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

Bill-just added my second Renology 100w panel today; filled in around the holes, so maybe it will still be leak proof. You can't go wrong for $128.00 on sale or matching everyone's price for a 100w panel-sure beats the 230.00 or so it costs last year. Everything seems to be working. Now with my amp hour  charts, 12v gear, books etc., in hand, let's see what i can power up later this week-and maybe watch both the niners and Giants w/o crashing the system,.Two batteries, 30 amp conproller and two 100 wa panels :D  Ain't solar grand.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:01 AM

Hi Bill,

Nice set up Bill.  My question is: You disconnected the portable controller and wire that into your new controller inside camper? Can you share the process. Wanting to do the same last month, I called a few solar companys, AM Solar/Solar Blvd for their suggestions, but I was told it's compicated to do this or so it seemed?? Go Figure. So presently, I have a 80W portable with its own controller "and" a 100W panel on the roof with its own controller. I know they work independently when just one is plugged in and I was told wthen both are plugged in they will work/charge together as if I have one 180W panel.  Am I on track here?

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

NorCalHawk, just like if you added to panels to the roof tie the positives together and the negatives together.  I do not have a MPPT controller so no advantage of wiring in series to get a higher voltage.  The 30 amp controller will handle around 300 amps and I will only have 220 with both panels plugged in.

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Nice job as always Bill....you are the consummate designer and installer of all these devices.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#7 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Bill,

Nice job.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Bill, good work, thanks for the report.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the nice comments. Smoke I am looking forward to seeing your solar set up at Meadow Lake. Will you be bringing the 40 or 70 inch flat screen?

Bill

#10 Paradox Lost

Paradox Lost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:50 PM

Bill-just added my second Renology 100w panel today; filled in around the holes, so maybe it will still be leak proof. You can't go wrong for $128.00 on sale or matching everyone's price for a 100w panel-sure beats the 230.00 or so it costs last year. Everything seems to be working. Now with my amp hour  charts, 12v gear, books etc., in hand, let's see what i can power up later this week-and maybe watch both the niners and Giants w/o crashing the system,.Two batteries, 30 amp conproller and two 100 wa panels :D  Ain't solar grand.

Smoke

Smoke, care to share your source for the 100w Renology panel for $128.00?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users