Camping security

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
48 replies to this topic

#1 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

Coincidental how the moderators deleted several posts out of a nice adult discussion about camping security (between 180pilot & I) when a day later TCM posts a nice article regarding this very same thing. http://www.truckcamp...-campers-part-1

I do understand the need to keep threads 'on topic' though, so...

I enjoyed the TCM article especially since I've been present when two campers next to me were murdered in their camp back in 2005. My family knows the murderer drove past our camp multiple times getting a feel for who his victim would be. Glad I grabbed my .45 on his last pass, which we believe he saw me do.

Not looking too start a "scare" thread here but are there any other similar experiences out there?

What do others do for their protection?

Keep it civil and respect those things which may offend others please, and we'll get to keep this thread going so that others may become educated...

Thanks in advance to you contributors.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by KILR0Y, 21 September 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:14 AM

Interesting article. I met the author at DVNP earlier this year. To say the least, Bryan is a character.

I am haunted by waters

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

I had read the TCM article, I guess I am just not as paranoid as he is. 

#4 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

This is an easy one for me. Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. Sits on top of the little shelf above the couch all the time. It helped me sort out a Grizzly that walked with in 10m of me Aug 23. I can hunt with and protect with. Handguns are restricted in my neck of the woods.

BTW - bear lived. I put a bullet at its feet.

Great thread. This is important stuff!

#5 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

I usually do 1 or 2 winter ski trips from Canada to the US so carrying firearms is out. Instead I carry a bear banger with a pen type lancher as well as an air horn.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#6 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Ah paranoia..........my forte!  My first day in Nam, one of our cooks stood by an mess hall hooch open back door, a VC sniper ended his culinary career..

As I said in my post that got deleted,  In my 55 of camping, I've encountered Grizzly, Wolves and angry Moose,  but man is still my biggest worry.  From drunk jerks discharging firearms indiscriminately  in nearby areas.  To those strange beat up vehicles driving slowly by.....  
By a long shot, my worst fear is going off hunting or fishing and being some miles away from my rig. If a criminal has been watching me for some time, he knows I'm alone and if I'm hunting may have some other firearms, or something else he'd like to have in my camper..and there is no one else now around to stop him.from getting it..  So,.. you think you've heard paranoia.. stand by..  I'm looking into an electronic portable surveillance system:

Some tricks I have, make anyone believe there is someone else staying in the camper,....Wave good bye through partially open door to your invisible other as you leave, and leave a radio on low inside to some elevator music or country station...just so you can hear it about 25 ft. away.  No stations in daytime, a MP3 player plugged into a portable.. both batteries full charge.  If you were in the military, you will know how hard it is to see someone in the woods with only mediocre camo and binoculars watching you.  However, scanning surrounding area with your own good  7 X 50's is always a good idea.   This is one reason I would not buy a new FWC without awnings over the open windows.  At night, way to easy for anyone to see and tell how many people in camper....If close enough, they can also hear you.  Which leads me to another point,... picking a campsite with a good perimiter clearing.   If area is wide open most criminals will not cross into it.  Gravel and hard dirt with rocks is your friend here, ever noticed how easy to hear someone walking outside a pop-up on such surfaces?  Brooming, a prospective perp may come in to have a look, take a broom and sweep a 4ft. wide ring  25 ft. or so out from your rig.  Check for fresh tracks in the sweep in morning,  It's also interesting to see what critters came in to have a look at you.... 

In most areas of Idaho and Montana I go, help is a long ways off, even with my Satellite phone cranked up.. When I had to use it, help was a long long time coming..... If you choose to carry, carry all the time.  It should be light enough and quick to put on and off,not in your way, and adequate for what ever wildlife you could encounter.  In Griz. country I pack a 4" .44 mag with skull penetrators.  If forced into areas of Calif. with pot growers.  9mm  Glock with 3- 20 rd. mags.  And inside the ubiquitous  Stainless 20" 12 gauge with 7 shot mag. and  one ounce rifled slug. or # 4 buck.  

On the normal side of enjoying the outdoors, most all others you will meet in those most remote areas will be like yourself, and will bend over backwards to help you and enjoy your company around their campfire.  But I'm sure you've had those times the hair stood up on the back of your neck,,,the giver gave us that sense for a reason.  Common sense and a little situation awareness is all that's needed to tell you, you need to change your location...

Cheers,, 

Edited by 180pilot, 24 September 2014 - 10:13 PM.
racial epithet removed

#7 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

Are the Canadian customs officials still deciding on there own volition about whether or not you need  a rifle or shotgun depending where you are going in Canada??  Last time I crossed to ski they told me I would not need any firearm if going to Banff or Jasper parks and that one could not take a firearm into the parks . But, if I was going through to Alaska, he would let me have my rifle in camper. So, I had to turn around and leave rifle in Montana...When I got to the Parks,..  just outside a sign "please remove bolts from rifles and pack away separately" he lied to me.....First campground I camped at the manager came over and said be very careful a Grizzly had decided to wake up early and was prowling the camp at night.......From now on if I cross the border I'm telling them I'm going to AK.  Every time I have crossed in aircraft, only had to give serial # of rifle and make, did it over phone one time.from airport of entry...

Edited by 180pilot, 21 September 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#8 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

Bodies found in Klamath River every year, friend in Weaverville tells me.

One of my favorite places to camp is up the Cal Salmon river, near the village of Forks of Salmon. Spoke with a deputy sheriff up near there one day while in the FWC and he told me about all the pot growers up that way. We all know about how rare it is for legal carry in California, but the sheriff deputy recommended I carry one up there for protection. He said they all pretty much avoid that area because it isn't safe for even law enforcement to be.

Sad, such a beautiful place.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

#9 180pilot

180pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

Got this from Canadian Embassy site:

"Most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns. These may be brought temporarily into Canada for sporting or hunting use during hunting season, for use in competition, for in-transit movement through Canada, or for personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada. Anyone wishing to bring hunting rifles into Canada must be at least 18 years old, and the firearm must be properly stored for transport."

If the customs officers can still make their own personal decision about whether you need a rifle, I wonder..really ticked me off..

Oh yeah, they took my Bear Spray away from me, saying only approved Canadian Bear Spray could be taken into Canada.... When I got into Canada, exact same spray for sale they took from me......and wasn't cheap... 

Edited by 180pilot, 21 September 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Oh yeah, they took my Bear Spray away from me, saying only approved Canadian Bear Spray could be taken into Canada.... When I got into Canada, exact same spray for sale they took from me......and wasn't cheap... 

In 2011 on our way to Denali I asked that question about bear spray at the border and was told ...if it is bear spray and not "pepper" spray it is allowed.

Pepper spray is for humans bear spray is for bears.

One is still at the mercy of the border guards. They have you.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users