48 replies to this topic

#11 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Interesting article and the follow up on the Canadian position on beer/pepper spay. Over the years we have had several threads -some rather heated-on personal protection, & being safe out there and related subjects. Still the best advise i give (and it is maybe a general feeling on this site) is always be prepared for anything, use your common sense, and don't get into "that " situation " in the first place-if you can help it. Still, for me, when everything else fails, my first safety measure after the above,  is my trusty dog, then  my can of  bear spray and if things get real bad(depending on where i am), my trusty glock or 357 Colt trooper. Again I spent allot of years learning  and being trained- both on the job and off of it- in the back country on how to deal with lot's of various situations and the "Public".   One of my big fears out there is that untrained and uninformed person with a gun, vehicle,fishing rod or what ever, thinking he/she is making a right decision,  making a wrong decision that impacts me and my own-just got to be prepared and hope for the best

Smoke. 

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

Funny, because they are both Oleo Capsicum OC based and likely the same percent ingredients.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

That was my take on the sprays.

I guess it's what container it's in and the labeling.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Also read that a can of "wasp" spray would work pretty well,plus it shoots a stream about 20'.

Border guards can't complain about that.

Smoke your advise is right on. Avoid a problem situation when ever you can. Just having a gun can be the worse thing for someone who is not trained to you one.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

I spend a lot of time on the river. The Snake River here in Idaho draws a lot of people some that are not friendly. The areas I fish for Catfish and Sturgeon are probably some of the more dangerous places in Idaho.  As a part of my defence I open carry in some areas and in others I conceal carry. I have never met an unfriendly person while open carrying a 45 auto. I try not to leave my truck in those areas electing to do float trips where someone leaves me there and takes the truck to a more secure location. 

If I am hunting or camping I open carry and leave a second 45 auto at the camper for my wife if I have to leave her. I have never ran into anyone while hunting that was a "bad" guy, but I don't trust anyone. 

For camping only I mostly conceal carry because I will most likely be staying around camp. Most of the time I camp in remote areas where I have no neighbors. I don't like being beside people while camping. That said we stay fairly often in a campground in Boise. The campground itself is clean nice and the people there have always been great. It is also next to a green belt that has had murder's, rape's, armed robery's you name it. No matter how nice a place can be the "bad" guy is always possibly there. It drives me crazy that my family doesn't understand there are dangers and they need to stay alert everywhere. 

Keeping my family and I safe is my first and most important job. This is an awesome thread.  

#15 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:52 AM

Problem with pistols is they are meant for short range only ... Especially under stress. This might work for a 2 legged threat in a pinch. But the long barrel and an optical site is required for the four legged threat ... Or the zombie apocalypse. This said I would carry full time if it was legal in Canada.

Sorry bout the Canadian Border Guards - some times they get a little over zealous. I hope that they do not discourage you from coming back.

#16 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

Well, I gottoo say it:  I moved north to Canada in 1970 to take work with an orchestra, and the country has become my home...  At the border, I was preceded by a man who turned himself back south when he learned he couldn't carry his revolver into the Canada.  I knew then that I was going to like living there.  I hope the Border Guards remain zealous--I suspect they are insufficiently so.  

I've camped a lot, over the past thirty years, alone and  in pretty remote spots.  I do keep bear spray handy and wouldn't hesitate to use it against human predators.   I'm not about to start carrying a firearm of any description.    And yes, I've backpacked in the Rockies and stepped over steaming grizzly scat.  I do know of what I write.

#17 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Here's how we protect the motor-home. :unsure:   Might have trouble getting back into Canada, but spent two months there after I retired and experienced the wonderful people, spectacular scenery, crappy whiskey, expensive fuel, and strange brew.  Maybe I don't need to go back ;)  Just kidding...

Untitledattachment00071_zpsb4b1a292.jpgUntitledattachment00074_zpsaabd866b.jpgUntitledattachment00077_zps83467a6c.jpgUntitledattachment00083_zps5f595566.jpgUntitledattachment00089_zpsa74116e8.jpgUntitledattachment00101_zps5c1e9c3e.jpg

Of course we couldn't travel without the twins....

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#18 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

I'm a whiskey guy. There's a bottle of Angels Envy in the cabinet too. I drink it often, one of the world's 10 best whiskeys and under $40.00 a bottle. Life is good :D

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Gee Bob, how come you didn't brig the twins up to Eagle Lake :D -I hope you rectify that defect whe4n we meet at the lake next month ;) -of course, Domino was pretty neat looking, at least my " Bob" thought soo :) !  Kilroy-bad people do have guns and that's part of the problem! As a vodka man myself, Bob are ya bringing some of that stuff Kilroy noted (thought you where a whisky man) for us masses :wacko: !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#20 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Smoke, I'll have Angels Envy, Gentleman Jack, and maybe some Sam Houston.  I think there's some Scotch in the camper, although I don't drink the stuff.  The twins will be busy that weekend..sorry :-)

Kilroy, I'll give Pendleton 1910 a try and let you know my opinion.....OOPS, just went to the web page. Pendleton is Canadian Whiskey, never tasted any Canadian whiskey that wasn't swill..I'll pass thank you.

Back to camp security...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users