48 replies to this topic

#41 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

Does no good trigger locked or put away in a safe. And always loaded with a round in chamber. Then again, I'm well trained to use it... 

I should have clarified. If you leave a gun in your vehicle unattended then lock it up. I agree a locked up gun is useless if you need it in a hurry. If possible best to keep it readily available on your person.

Training. Something most people forget when it comes to firearms but is critically important. A good firearm retention and self defense class is expensive but well worth the money.

Edited by Kolockum, 07 April 2015 - 06:43 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#42 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

If one isnt a "gun  person", then choosing to have a gun around is a big decision. I am a gun person, and have been around them and been shooting pretty extensively since about age 10 or 11. I have one or a couple (rifle and pistol) around whatever I happen to be doing.

The circumstances of sleeping with one in hand is simply a judgement based on the location at the time, and/or people around or potentially around. Others may not make the same decision, it was mine at the time.

Its easy to say "just go somewhere else". I wanted to be where I was for the most part. If the perceived risk was different than other places, thats just part of life. Some may feel that its fearful to sleep with a gun handy, others may feel its fearful to change your plans because something may happen. I probably tend more towards the latter. If its a real risk, sure, go somewhere else. Sometimes theres no particular thing to say is an issue, just a different level of likelyhood than somewhere else. Closer to highways, more people coming and going in an area, being in the general area (near a certain town) that has had fairly regular armed robberies, high levels of wanted fugitives collared by the police, or crooks doing weird things (panty bandit, assaulting couples parked in cars in out of the way places). All are factors to consider. Just like going down a muddy road, one assesses the situation, and you make a decision, "I can deal with this" or not. Sometimes simply avoiding all possible risk is fine, other times, it limits your options more than one cares for.

Where I am now, an armed robbery, or especially a homicide, usually makes statewide news. in Az, both were common enough that they are moslty local news. I wouldnt give up camping or adventuring in Az over that. where I am now, I literally know, and know of, more people that have been assaulted by bears than by people. Totally different risk factors. I try not to let either make my choices for me, just assess each place and situation at the time, and act accordingly.

Edited by Malamute, 07 April 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#43 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

I guess I'm just old school:

You don't carry a gun unless you plan to kill with it.

You don't announce to the world that you carry.

You don't make statements without providing facts.

But that's just the way I was raised.

Research, evaluate, prepare and enjoy the great outdoors!

Cheers

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#44 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:18 AM

I guess I'm just old school:

You don't carry a gun unless you plan to kill with it.

You don't announce to the world that you carry.

You don't make statements without providing facts.

But that's just the way I was raised.

Research, evaluate, prepare and enjoy the great outdoors!

Cheers

No offense meant, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent or meaning, but the second line is just plain messed up thinking taken at face value.

I've carried pretty much constanly in some way for most of the past 35 years. The only plans I had to kill were game, and then only occasionally.

Its funny how things change. In years past, it was considered sneaky and dishonerable to conceal a gun. Honest people didn't do that. It was actually the law in many western states, open carry was legal, there was no provision for concealed carry, or very limited in scope or hard to get in many cases. Today, its considered showing off or being wierd if its seen or carried openly. In general I prefer not to have it seen, but in the mountains, I carry openly.

#45 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Problem with pistols is they are meant for short range only ... Especially under stress. This might work for a 2 legged threat in a pinch. But the long barrel and an optical site is required for the four legged threat ... Or the zombie apocalypse. This said I would carry full time if it was legal in Canada.

Slightly off topic,...but its surprising what can be done with pistols when one applies themself to the question. We regularly shoot at a 22" (was 18") steel plate at 300 yards. Most pistols can hit it once the proper way of using the sigths is understood, and one practices a bit. Most people that are a fair shot can do it with some instruction.

#46 Malamute

Malamute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRockies

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

The town I live now there's a law that every citizen must own a gun. I'll see if I can dig up some facts and post a link to it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

A lady I knew that lived alone asked me to come inspect some critter poop she found in her yard. She thought it was bear. I asked why she was afraid, she had a gun didnt she? She said she didnt. Shocked, I told her I thought it was a law everyone had to own a gun in this state (joke). A week later she asked me to come over and help her learn how to shoot her gun. She'd bought a Red Ryder at walmart. We shot sticks and stuff out in her driveway. When giant horned tomato worms invaded her garden, I showed her she could shoot them carefully off the tomato plants, which she succesfully did to protect them.

#47 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Malamute, if your going quote me then be exact and not add your own emphasis.

Cheers

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#48 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

While I respect everyone's position on this topic, I really hope WTW doesn't spiral down into the nasty talk often displayed on some of the other similar Forums on this topic.

I was a police officer for ten years, and have traveled and camped all over the world and in many third world countries, and have never, ever felt having a gun would have made me safer or improved a situation.  I completely agree with those who state that most Americans should not be carrying a weapon -- shooting at targets in a controlled environment, usually wearing earmuffs does not prepare one for the chaos that is armed combat.  I feel less safe when those around me are packing unless I know they are LEO's or have have taken specific training in using their firearm in non-range situations.

Case in point -- I was in a Panera restaurant in New Mexico a few weeks back when a woman in line, who was on the phone, dropped her purse.  A holstered weapon from said purse slid across the floor under the table I was seated at.  She picked up her purse, resumed her phone call and apparently, didn't notice her gun was missing. I picked it up, walked over and handed it to her. She barely made eye contact, and went back to her phone call without missing a beat.  I'm pretty sure I could have left with it and she would have not missed it.  Heaven help us all if some one had attempted to run the restaurant and she would have tried to get the gun out.

Having a shotgun or rifle for animal protection is a very different issue, obviously.

#49 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,336 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

Excellent comments kmacafee, thank you. This thread is now locked.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users