Photo
- - - - -

Which OME Front Spring? Dakar Rear Springs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Posted 23 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

This is a repost of some questions I posted on Tundratalk.  I haven't had much luck over there, so maybe a camper centric group will be more appropriate!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and a new Tundra owner. I have a 2014 regular cab, long bed, 5.7, 4x4, work truck package that I am going to put a Hallmark K2 pop-up camper on. The truck weighs around 5200 lbs /w a GVWR of 7200 lbs. Given the particular dimensions of my truck camper combo I've been trying to figure out the springs/shocks/air bags package to carry the load. I am going to set the suspension up mainly to carry the load and can deal with a more harsh ride unloaded. Having said that, my first question is which OME springs should I get if front axle has 325 lbs of camper weight? I also plan on a RS-E aluminum front bumper with an Engo 9000lb winch (appox 60-70 lbs extra). Basically, 400 lbs extra on the front axle.

The attached pic shows a pretty accurate description of weights and placement. I left the gear weight very low to keep the package under GVWR. 

The next question is would the OME Dakar spring with OME add a leaf put me close to normal rear height? I plan on using air bags for trimming out the load but don't want to have to run them very hard.

Thanks,
Eric Nelson
CamperLoading.jpg

Edited by enelson, 23 September 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#2 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

The question for me is whether to use the OME 614 medium or 613 heavy springs?  I'll call ARB USA and see what they say.

#3 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

Called ARB USA and they recommended the medium length 614 springs for my truck.  They also recommended the Dakar spring without an add a leaf and air bag for leveling with the camper.  They also were pretty sure I would not need new control arms, but I may still get them from what I read of someone's experience over on Tundratalk.  

I weighed my truck today an it was 5340 lbs with a full tank of gas.  7200 GVWR - 5340 weight = 1860 payload full tank (1941 1/2 tank).  Looks like my 1910 lb payload rating is realistic.

#4 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:18 AM

Have you tried talking to Wheelers Offroad about the front coils?

For leaf springs I would without a second thought recommend a custom set built by Deaver.

Cort

#5 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

The only front coils I saw on the Wheelers website was with the icon CO shocks.  These are out of my league in terms of cost.  I have also looked at the Alcan leaf springs.  The Toytec guys are close enough for me to get to during my lunch break so I've spent the most time looking at their offerings.  

#6 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

On another topic, I do really like the very large regular cab of the Tundra.  By far the largest regular cab I've seen.  There's tons of room behind the seats for gear, skinny blondes, or illegal aliens.

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

#7 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

I would hold off on upgrading the front until all of your accessories are installed but if you are going to pull the trigger now, I would go with the medium front springs. One thing to consider is the weight of yourself and your usual passenger. If you are on the heavy side then maybe go with the heavy springs, but if you weight 150 pounds then the medium duty or regular springs in the front might work.

If you can wait and buy a good set of Coil Over, I would do that. My understanding is that they are superior to the OME.

#8 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

Yeah, I'm around 155lbs and the skinny chick is lucky to crack 90lbs.  I'd like to add a bit of armor, but I don't want to add a bunch of weight to an already maxed out GVWR.  The medium springs seem like the way to go from my conversation with ARB, but I'm sure they'll be a bit stiff without a load.  A set of coil overs would be nice but my connection for a good price on a pair fell through so it looks like its OME for me.

#9 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

Go with AllPro in the rear.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#10 enelson

enelson

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

I don't believe All Pro makes rear leaf springs for the Tundra.  I couldn't find them on their website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users