• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

All,

I have a Nissan Titan Pro4X with a Hawk on the back and Firestone Air bags. I am planning on a weeklong trip to northern nevada with the idea of boondocking along the Hwy 50 (loneliest highway) and bringing a dirtbike along to explore during the day. The dirtbike will be hauled in a motorcycle hitch carrier. The motorcycle + carrier weigh around 400 lb. My hitch is safely rated to 600 lb.

Question is, will the airbags cut it for adding all that additional weight in the very back of the truck? I will pump more air - probably 10-15psi more than normal...but in general, have people put motorcycles on the back with airbags alone and been ok? 

Thanks for your advise in advance. Any pointers to some nevada destinations along hwy 50 would be great too!

Shridhar

#2 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

I'm anxious to hear any comments. I've recently added a Yamaha TW200 for some trail exploring.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#3 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

I am in the same boat. I have a Tundra with a Hawk and a Honda XR 250L. I have the motorcycle rack, and firestone air bags. But I also have a front receiver hitch. So I could either put the hitch on the back or the front. I wonder about the headlights on the front and if that kind of weight on the front is ok for my truck. I wonder about the back too but I take a trailer a lot so I think the weight issue in the back would not be much worse than my trailer I am already using. 

#4 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:12 PM

Not sure what model airbag you have.  Mine would handle the weight, but the bigger question is how your truck will handle with the center of gravity moved this far back.  The camper alone puts most 1/2 ton trucks at or over capacity.

Also, do you have to remove the bike to enter the camper?  That would be a pain.  I tow my bike on a trailer.  A trailer can also be a pain, but it works for me.  

There is so much to explore in Nevada it's hard to know where to begin.  I had a meeting in Utah and decided to drive Hwy 50, i went south on 361 to Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  WTW, Google Maps, http://www.roadsideamerica.com, etc. are all good starting points.

#5 dauntless225

dauntless225

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationColton, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:05 PM

most trucks have a weight rating for each axle. I usually weigh the front half of the truck on a truck scale then the back half. This gives a rough idea on how close to the axle rating you are. 

Note: if you get the truck centered right the two numbers you get should add up to your total..

I have been toying with the idea of a hitch on the front as I have two motorcycles I need to carry and would prefer not to have a trailer. one bike in the front and one on the back receiver and would be set. but the hassle of removing the bike to get in the camper, has kept me so far from doing it...plus the idea I would be within a couple hundred pounds of being at my GVW of 9k..

Kevin

FWC Granby 

68 Jeep M715 father/son project...

#6 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:26 AM

My front axle on my 05 Tundra DC with my Hawk weighs 3100. The back weighs 3680. All together it weighs 6700. 

#7 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:45 AM

I'm anxious to hear any comments. I've recently added a Yamaha TW200 for some trail exploring.

Temporary Derail.

I just got a TW 200 also. Only 90 miles on it so far. I love it.

End Derail.

#8 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:36 AM

I have been thinking about trading my XR 250L for one. 

#9 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

All,

thanks for the replies. The trip is likely not happening for the length of time i have in mind, so decided against the carrrier in the back. The thought of having to remove the bike everytime i need to get in the back is a serious headache. The trailer is an easier option - especially when uhaul rents them for $15 a day. Ofcourse that limits my travel location, but i think its a better option for the occasional getaways.

One more reason imho to get a van instead!  ;-)

#10 Tuna

Tuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationJoshua Tree,Ca.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:17 AM

Be using a front hitch and carrier for years and no problems at all. Towed in 100 degrees over Sheephole Pass no problem. Go for it. The only way to carry a bike, unless your talking a Harley.

Craig Joshua Tree,CA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users