21 replies to this topic

#1 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Greetings

I searched but could not find anything that discussed replacing the vent FWC installs with a Fantastic Fan. The installation doesnt look difficult but can someone comment on the wiring -- specifically, where is the wiring run in these campers?  There is a flourescent light not far from the vent I can tap into but wanted to check with the experts here.

Thanks in advance

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

Did you see the recent post on installing a fantastic fan in a Grandby?  There is also a video.  There should be wiring.  I would suggest contacting Brenda at FWC.  If you go to page 2 of the posts you will find the one on the Grandby.  Good luck.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

I did this last year. You can buy the kit from fwc and it comes with instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:46 PM

I too did this last year.  The wires were right there and they tapped into those fixtures you talked about.  Pretty easy job as everything is the same size, etc.  You'll have to trim the new mounting flange/ring/etc. (not sure of the right term) but it's a piece of plastic that is easy to score and cut.  Probably the biggest part of the job is getting the old stuff off and cleaning everything up and caulking the new screws, etc. but it's pretty easy too.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone.  Very helpful.

#6 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

I installed a fan in the plain vent that came with my camper. I bought a new whole vent unit, with fan, on Ebay. It was cheaper than what FWC charged and the fan I got was fancier (with a lot of speeds and a remote control). I didn't remove the vent from the roof -- FWC had it well sealed and I didn't want to mess with that -- I just installed the fan part of the unit I bought in the existing vent housing. The rest of the unit is left over, so I have a spare lid and crank.

The wires were right there, with crimp-type splices on them. The only problem I had was that FWC uses a black wire for ground and, on the Fan-Tastic, the black wire is +12V. (Hooking it up backwards didn't seem to hurt it!) I had to cut away some of the plastic housing for the wires, but not where it shows. And, I had to cut the slip-on connector off the wire to the switch that turns off the motor when the lid is closed and crimp a new one on after I put the wire through the switch hole.

A pretty easy install, all-in-all.

If your camper is not pretty new, the wires may not already be in place, which would make the installation harder. FWC now pre-wires all campers for all the options, but they haven't always done that.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#7 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

DO you have a link to the one you got off Ebay?

#8 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:47 PM

Mine is a 2012 so hopefully the wires are there.  Thanks for the info

#9 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:07 AM

The Fan-Tastic Vent unit I got was model 6600R. It has something like 14 speeds, which is nice, and included the 417 remote, which is hardly necessary in a small camper, but is the only way to control it. It has the standard in-off-out switch and a motorized knob for opening the lid, which can also be done manually. It also has a rain sensor, which will turn off the fan and close the lid if it senses moisture (Not sure I would trust this over my bed when I'm out hiking). It has a thermostatic mode, or can just be set to a speed. Operation with the remote is not particularly intuitive, but works fine once you figure it out. I'm glad I got this multi-speed fan, instead of the standard 3-speed, because the gentle lower speeds are good, and quiet, over the bed.

The one I bought was new, but I don't think they make this model any more. Things are ever-changing on Ebay, but these are still available for a little over $200. You might be better off to get the latest model.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:07 AM

KMac,
You are Definately pre wired for a fan in a 2012.. You are also framed and pre wired for a forward vent/fan as well.. In line with the stock one, over the forward bed.. You can feel the aluminum cross frames up there.. I recently put two fans in my '01 hawk. The forward being a new hole in the camper.. Couldn't be happier! One sucking, and one blowing..... Lots of air moving! I found a pair of the three speed model on eBay for $130 a piece..

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users