9 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:43 AM

Our first trips in warm weather found my CPAP use almost no different than at home.  The humidifier was set at 2.  However, our last 2 trips have been in cold temperatures ranging from 32 to the 40's.  We didn't keep the heat on, relying on the warmth of our sleeping bags.  I noticed all through the night a lot of moisture in the hoses and spraying from the relief opening.  In the morning I took the hose off and held it out the door, watching a lot of moisture drip out.  Do I lower the setting to 1 or increase it, or do nothing?  Any advise from my fellow CPAP campers?

jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:38 AM

I lower mine jd. Especially in the winter you have lots of moisture in the air inside the camper. I have the Phillips Resipronics system-one Bipap and usually run humidity on 2 at home and one in the camper. I never get dry headaches in winter. Machine is set at 15cmH2O and I get 3 days use before recharge w/solar in summer, 2 in winter. Use 2 optima blue tops in the Hawk.

I hope these data points help experiment and conserve volts.

Edit: moisture dropping out is the good sign your getting enough, even if it's not warm moisture like you normally get at home with 115vac.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks.  I will try lowering to 1 in two weeks.

jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

It is possible part of your problem is condensation from breathing into a cold hose. I have just recently started using a cpap machine and haven't camped with it yet. I asked questions about using the machine without the humidifier while camping because the humidifier adds considerably to the energy use of the machine. My machine uses a heated hose in conjunction with the humidifier to temper the air and eliminate condensation in the hose. If I use it without the humidifier, the hose is unheated and I was told to expect condensation in cold temps. They sell a fabric cover to help insulate the hose but I have no idea if it is effective. Another work-around suggested was to put the machine lower than the bed so the moisture runs back to the humidifier. This wouldn't help if you are not using the humidifier.

Edited by takesiteasy, 28 October 2014 - 04:18 AM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 Doc Foster

Doc Foster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Do I lower the setting to 1 or increase it, or do nothing?  Any advise from my fellow CPAP campers?

jd

Yes, decrease your humidifier setting.  It is condensation from the colder condition.  Many of the others have good ideas, especially having your humidifier/CPAP lower than your head, heated tubing and insulating tubing cover.  It also helps to hand up your tubing daily. The insulated tubing cover does help quite a bit (http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00CW1MJQS).  You could also turn off the heated humidifier, and as the air moves over the water in your humidifier chamber, it will still provide some moisture.  Most newer CPAP's like the Phillips Respironics System One or Resmed S9 or there newer Resmed Airsence 10 do measure and react to the ambient relative humidity, so condensation is not supposed to form in your tubing.  The heated humidifier and the heated tubing do use quite a bit more electricity than the CPAP itself.  I am in the Sleep Therapy business.  

#5 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

Hi CPAPers,

I used to have condensation problems in the winter when I had the humidifier in my machine turned on. But, I live in a humid climate (Virginia) and it turns out I don't need extra humidity from my CPAP, so I've turned that off. I like to sleep with a window open and, especially in the camper, it can be quite cool. So, condensation can still be something of a problem. I do two things to keep it under control: I have a fabric sheath on the hose, as mentioned above. It's made of material like a fleece blanket and is called "Snuggle Hose", or something like that. (I got it from one of those websites like cpap.com.) This won't make much difference if your CPAP isn't heating the air (and you may need to turn that off to save battery power in the camper). The other thing I do is to have all the extra hose length under the covers where it is warmed by body heat. I have found this alone to be very effective in elliminating condensation. The fabric sheath makes it comfortable to have the hose in my bed.

Sleep well...

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#6 MountainSufi

MountainSufi

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

I don't use a humidifier. Halfway thru the night, when I have to pee, I also take a few swigs of water. It gets me thru the night.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming
2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Long Bed
2017 Fleet FWC, Side Dinette (Purchased from Rocky Mt. FWC)

"We're all in this together"--The Red Green Show

#7 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:22 PM

I have a Resmed airsense 10.

At home my humidity setting is 4, with an unheated hose.

When camping in the truck camper I set the humidity control setting to zero, unheated hose, but keep distilled water in the humidifier chamber. This is primarily to decrease the power consumption. I was told by the manufacturer that the machine would use about 13 amps in 8 hours in this setting. I use the 12 volt optional power supply. The machine sits about 1 foot below my head in the main area of the camper and I run the hose up thru a hole in the sleeping platform and then under my sleeping bag. Have not had condensation in the hose.

There is condensation on the walls of the camper, but that happens regardless of c-Pap use.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:10 PM

I too tried the CPAP machine on a cold fall trip where night temps were below freezing. The ResMed AirSense 10 was powered by a 12V rechargeable battery through a converter. I didn’t get much condensation but was bothered by the forced cold air (full mask) and by limited battery life. Also, I prefer a silicon mask seal but switched to a foam seal because the silicon felt unpleasant when cold. 

I had to turn off the comfort settings (heat and moisture) to preserve battery, so a tube cover might help with the cold air. The last couple of nights I tried plugging into the much larger camper battery which didn’t lose significant juice with comfort turned off. Next time I may try it with the CPAP heater on. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

Is there an option to go use 12v directly?  Using a converter has some losses you might be able to avoid

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:19 AM

Is there an option to go use 12v directly?  Using a converter has some losses you might be able to avoid

The ResMed AirSense 10 operates at 24V so a converter is required. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users