• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationVirginia City Nevada

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

I have done or seen alot of methods for outdoor turkey from pit in the ground to oil frying which I have done for many years but this year I bought and just recieved a Char Broil Big Easy Oil Less Fryer

http://www.charbroil...it-2199125.html

Loved the fryed turkey but not the cost and mess of the oil. Going to try it out this weekend on some whole chicken and see how it does before the big bird day.

Anybody have any experiance with on of these? I would like to hear your stories and tips 

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

Give us a review

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

#3 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

1798453_730282123692929_8076071964205149

Slightly high-jacking your question about the oil-less fryer.   Ok, this was only a turkey roll, but all of the dinner except the gravy & cranberries were cooked over a campfire up in Banff for Canadian Thanksgiving last month.  It was pretty tasty, even the slightly blackened sprouts.  Gravy & cranberries were cooked on my stovetop.  Cooking a whole turkey over a campfire is on my bucket list.   Thinking it will likely be with a tripod...

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:05 PM

Looks tasty!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

I have also done a whole turkey on my Weber Kettle BBQ many years ago. Took a long time for even a small bird and I remember I poked some holes in a beer and put it in the cavity.

#6 Beamer pilot

Beamer pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

So how different is that from an oven? If there is any kind of heat involved I would think that there is some clean up required to the wall of the unit.
On the website all reviews are 100% positive...some censurehip involved I would say.
The only worthwhile report and assessment will be yours.

#7 Paul B.

Paul B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

I've been using a Charbroiled Big Easy for years for turkey feasts on Thanksgiving camping trips. The thing works fantastically. Hooks to a propane tank. 100% satisfaction because it works so well. Not just for turkey. We've put chicken, whole fish, prime rib, tri-tip, etc.

I'm no shill, no affiliation with Charbroiled. Just think this is a great cooking device. Great for every backyard. And you can take it camping, too!!!

As for cleanup, you don't really have to clean the unit, because it doesn't touch the food, ever. You will need to wipe off the bottom of the interior. There's a stainless steel basket that requires some elbow grease to wash. And a grease tray to dump, or use the drippings for gravy, if one sees fit.

I saw these things at Big Lots for a limited time for under $100, but not recently. Even at full price of around $150, the thing is still worth every penny. I love this thing.

Edited by Paul B., 30 November 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#8 Chukar Hunter

Chukar Hunter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:14 PM

My experiance is just as Paul B said. This thing is great! We cooked a 12 lb bird in 2 hours and it came out great. the next night cooked a pork shoulder roast that came out fantastic.

It is not a small thing that would fit easily in a camper but this trip we took the big 5th wheel so storage was not a problem. It will get plenty of use at home also.

I loved the deep fried turkey for years but I don't see myself ever doing that again after using the Big Easy

#9 Paul B.

Paul B.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

C Hunter,
I know you would agree, if people knew how great this thing is, they'd run out and get one. I've given out a half dozen as gifts, 100% great feedback.

For my current small camper, I wrap it in an old blanket, store it with the sleeping bags and bedding. Gotta have that baby for Thanksgiving camping.

#10 winks

winks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:25 AM

A nice big turkey breast and two thighs in my dutch oven on Thanksgiving day out in the California desert somewhere.

Also a Maverick remote temp guage.

Came out pretty good.

t5GqVtk.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users