26 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

I saw a link to this video on ExPo. It's worth taking a few minutes and watching.

http://sfglobe.com/?...re_fb_new_14064

More people should understand the role and value of natural predators in our ecosystems.

I am haunted by waters

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thanks Steve. That's a great link. I had watched it several times when it was put up earlier.

The wolves of Yellowstone are great.

We have felt lucky in our times there to get to see many of them.

Spring on 2010 we got to see some pups,but from a distance.

One time we were on a walk to one of the lakes we like to go to and had two wolves some distance ahead of us. They were playing in the gullies of the creek and didn't see or smell us.So we could watch them for a nice long time.

They are such a beautiful animal.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

You know in all those years and my many wanderings out and about  the west, have never heard, much less seen a wild wolf. I saw one in a special zoo for long time zoo and abused animals once in Folsom-and that was depressing because all it did was walk back and forth in a small cage(all it knew)-not free, not happy-not much above being dead. Things have changed in zoos of late for captive animals , but seeing wolves doing their natural thing as a part of the environment  is ,despite the feeling of some, the only way to see them! Go get'em OR-7, up there in Or., and have lot's of little ones.

Thanks

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

You know in all those years and my many wanderings out and about  the west, have never heard, much less seen a wild wolf. I saw one in a special zoo for long time zoo and abused animals once in Folsom-and that was depressing because all it did was walk back and forth in a small cage(all it knew)-not free, not happy-not much above being dead. Things have changed in zoos of late for captive animals , but seeing wolves doing their natural thing as a part of the environment  is ,despite the feeling of some, the only way to see them! Go get'em OR-7, up there in Or., and have lot's of little ones.

Thanks

Smoke

Smoke, you need to get to Yellowstone and enjoy the wolves.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:42 AM

We had wolves in our yard in Watson Lake a couple days ago..

Robbie

#6 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

Spent a few years in Toronto.  Can't say I enjoyed them, but I was near Algonquin Provincial Park, where there are definitely wolves.  Never saw them there, but we used to howl together when I went camping.  Nice.  I'm not much of a singer, but howling together seemed to work for all of us.  

I've seen wolves in Banff National Park a few times and in the North Cascades.  (No, not including my recent coyote.)  Wonderful critters.  I'm wishing OR-7 and his brood all the best and hoping some silly git doesn't shoot them.

#7 35whelen

35whelen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

they have destoyed most of southwest montana where I live we cant control them at all  there not that good

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

By destroyed do you mean they're killing livestock or is it something else?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

I just heard that a couple of possible wolves were seen not far from Ruidoso in S. New Mexico. It may turn out to be a false report - maybe a wolf-dog hybrid or someone mistaking large coyotes. But if it turns out there are a couple of wolves around (and I've heard rumors before this recent sighting), the question would be how they got here. It's a long way from the small wolf packs near the AZ border, but I guess it could be possible for them to make the journey. 

I also heard that the gummint is starting to pay ranchers in the Gila near the wolf recovery area, so they might be more inclined to co-exist. I hope it stops the illegal shooting. Wolves belong.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

There is a female gray wolf roaming the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Spotted and verified. First one since the 1940's.

Dsrtrat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users