truck backseat removal - big job

FWC four wheel campers ford f150 truck pickup back seat

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:04 PM

I bought a Ford F150 extended cab long box specifically for my FWC Grandby. I want to use the back seat area for storage, so I got two maintenance guys to help me remove the back seat (which means that I watched while they did all the work). Both guys are real tool experts and one is an automotive guy, so I figured it might take 20 minutes or so to complete the disassembly, but even with instructions it took over three hours and way too much effort to get the job done. There was so much Loctite on the bolts they actually twisted the driver on their impact wrench trying to remove them. It was as though they were welded in. They ended up removing the bolts using sheer muscle power and a vice grip ¼ turn at a time. It wore me out just watching them work. Ford obviously never intended the back seat to be removed. It was installed with the same bolts that secure the cab to the frame, so after the seat was out I had to replace them. We used more Loctite, but this time we used hex head bolts which will be easier to remove if I ever want to put the seat back in.

Now that the seat is out I have a huge amount of storage space. I’m fortunate to have as friends such skilled and experienced guys as these who appreciate a challenge. One of the fellows has already committed to help me next spring to fabricate a carpeted interior for my new back seat storage space, and also to help me build and install a gray water storage pipe (which means that I will watch while he does all the work). He’s also good with electrical so I may as well ask him to “help” me install a trimetric battery monitor as well.

Actually, I did help a little. A couple of times they asked me to hold a flashlight.

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:52 PM

I have a Tundra AC cab and removed the rear seat so I could have more storage.

Mine was a simple job and the wood work was a snap.

I used plastic "file" cabinets one on each side facing out to hold clothes,shoes ,ect.

They are 3 drawers high and the top has an extra open drawer to hold quick to get to things.

Camera, maps ,small things that get lost between the seats.

This works great for us as we don't take the camper off and don't have other passengers to worry about.

Good luck with your project.

Post some pictures.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Platano

Platano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO / Prescott, AZ

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

I bought a Ford F150 extended cab long box specifically for my FWC Grandby. I want to use the back seat area for storage, so I got two maintenance guys to help me remove the back seat (which means that I watched while they did all the work). Both guys are real tool experts and one is an automotive guy, so I figured it might take 20 minutes or so to complete the disassembly, but even with instructions it took over three hours and way too much effort to get the job done. There was so much Loctite on the bolts they actually twisted the driver on their impact wrench trying to remove them. It was as though they were welded in. They ended up removing the bolts using sheer muscle power and a vice grip ¼ turn at a time. It wore me out just watching them work. Ford obviously never intended the back seat to be removed. It was installed with the same bolts that secure the cab to the frame, so after the seat was out I had to replace them. We used more Loctite, but this time we used hex head bolts which will be easier to remove if I ever want to put the seat back in.

Now that the seat is out I have a huge amount of storage space. I’m fortunate to have as friends such skilled and experienced guys as these who appreciate a challenge. One of the fellows has already committed to help me next spring to fabricate a carpeted interior for my new back seat storage space, and also to help me build and install a gray water storage pipe (which means that I will watch while he does all the work). He’s also good with electrical so I may as well ask him to “help” me install a trimetric battery monitor as well.

Actually, I did help a little. A couple of times they asked me to hold a flashlight.

I trust that you supplied the beer at least!

2006 Tundra 4x4 Dbl Cab, 2012 FWC Hawk.

#4 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:31 AM

I have an F-250 and did the same thing. I was able to split off the jump seat and leave it installed. For an occasional third passenger. You won't regret the storage. That's the only way to go.

#5 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:54 AM

We split the "60/40" on our Tacoma DCLB into the "60" becoming a platform and love it.  It gives so much more storage space.

Not trying to hijack a thread but it works here.  We got the idea from this guy (FULL CREDIT).  Scroll down to post #66 to see where the seat mod comes in.

http://www.expeditio...-build-up/page7

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#6 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:59 PM

Sorry to continue the "mini hijack," but we removed both the 60 and the 40 seats in our Tacoma DC and installed a plywood platform for an Alaska trip last summer and it worked very well.  Aside from providing space for a conventional cooler, we store foul weather gear, emergency gear, and much of the miscellaneous stuff required for a long trip in that area.  Keeps the interior of the camper completely clear.  Upon returning, I was able to reinstall the seats and rear plastic storage panel in about 45 minutes.  If I did not occasionally need the rear seats to carry passengers (neither of our other vehicles has passenger carrying capabilities) I would leave the seats out and the platform in place all the time.  BTW, BobD, thanks for the link, that is a nice set up! - Richard     

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#7 CamperCarl

CamperCarl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

I paid Ford $178 to take out the back seat of my 2014 F-150, supercab, longbed. Now I would like to reinstall just the small section of the seat - for the grandchild.  I am concerned my body shop will  be reluctant because of possible legal liability issues with seatbelts, and secure fasteners, etc. Any reports of experience doing this appreciated. 

#8 2020

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:44 PM

The small seat section and the center seat belt assembly should both go back in without too much trouble. I suggest that you replace the impact wrench bolts with hex head bolts as they are easier to remove and reinstall. If you actually removed the seat belts themselves from the side walls that will be more effort because you will have to remove the wall panels to reattach them. I just left mine there because they weren't really in the way.

#9 CamperDave

CamperDave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:35 AM

2020, do you have any pictures of this? I am going to try and do the same thing...

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

Seat fastners are generally assembled at the factory with permenant thread locker.  Something like RED Loctite.  While meant to be permenant, fastners assembled with permenant (RED Loctite) can very easily be removed without grunt work.  Simply apply localized heat of 550F with a heat gun.  I use a Makita heat gun on setting #3 using the 3/8" nozzle to get heat directly onto the nut.  550F heat turns RED's bonding agent to dust.  If you do not break the thread locker's bond, you can easily ruin your tools. 

BLUE thread locker generally requires 350F to turn the bonding agent to dust.  Small fastners such as #8/#10 or 2-4mm assembled with BLUE should be heated prior to attempting to remove.  Once cured, the torque required to loosen a small bolt.nut usually exceeds the tensil strength of the material.  Best, to apply a heat to prevent striping the bolt head and/or nut.

Edited by Advmoto18, 06 July 2015 - 11:02 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, ford f150, truck, pickup, back seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users