Photo

What's the temp inside your popup when it's 32 degrees outside?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lcgeek

lcgeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:07 AM

As winter sets in I am getting close to finally pulling the trigger on a Popup.  And while i prefer something like a FWC or ATC, I've got some family members that are rather cold blooded so to speak and so I'm also thinking Alaskan.

Just curious what camper and heat sources you have and what your guestimate temp is inside when it's 32 outside?  Is there anyway to make it toasty in there? :)

Thanks for your insight!

JT

#2 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:28 AM

Factory propane furnace - gets it very warm inside. It just cools off rather quickly when the furnace is kicked off. Staying warm is not the issue for me it is mitigating the condensation inside during the night. I mitigate this by leaving the furnace on the lowest setting thru out the eve.

So far I have stayed in my Hawk down to -10Celsius (14 F). Its all good!

#3 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:06 AM

I have an old Alaskan with a wave 3 heater it will get hot in there when it's frosty out if I leave the heater on high.

#4 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:10 AM

With my reflectix "arctic pack" I heat up to somewhere in low to mid 50's when it's down in the teens. Mid 60's or higher when it's only 32.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:24 AM

No arctic pack. I'd say probably five to ten degrees warmer inside but remember, no wind chill. With a decent bag I stay nice and warm. Heater is great in the morning though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

I agree, the furnace can keep the camper toasty no matter the outside temp. It's just a matter of how much propane and electricity you want to burn. There can be issues with condensation as the outside temps drop. We keep our camper at about 55° F when it is cold outside.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

Ditto, with no liner the furnace heats the camper over 70 deg at 25-32 deg outside without difficulty.  We hold 60 deg when we are awake to reduce condensation and no heat at night with the roof vents and window cracked open (furnace noise keeps me awake too).  Sleeping on the couch is warmer than over the cab and you can reach the thermostat without getting out of the sleeping bag.  I get up after the heater is blowing hot air (put on slippers and the coffee), close the vents/window, and then hold cold clothing in front of the heater to get rid of the chill as I dress in front of the furnace.  Also, my butane lighters will not light (for the stove) until I warm them in front of the furnace (haven't blown up the camper yet doing this).  Most of our condensation occurs after we get up with the warmer air, propane stove, and vents closed but we wipe it down before it gets too heavy and then again before lowering the top.

#8 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I probably should have mentioned my numbers come from using a Wave 3 and not the stock furnace.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

Best example I can give is the following.  Several years ago in December I had to drive  to the Reno dog hospital from Susanville  (between major snow storms); my Aust. Shep broke her leg (long story short -they found she had bone cancer and they had to cut off her leg). The temp was in the low one digits, the snow on my roof frooze a couple of inches thick and i had to chip it off  with a trowel and shovel and use deicer spray, before i could raise it---it was cold and i had no arctic pack back then. I stayed in the Bordertown RV park and HW 395 was a mass of black ice and there were wrecks everywhere and i had to drive to the other end of town-as i say it was cold out. Okay, the first night i stayed, I set the therm temp for 70 or so and it kept the camper nice and comfortable all night long-of course i got very little sleep because it kept coming on every hour or so. The gauge said It used about a half a tank of propane. 

I am one of those who believe in the toasty toes-cold nose theory of sleeping-and except for the above event , hardly ever leave the thermo on all night-just crank the stock heater up before i rack out, warm the camper up, crawl into the sleeping bag, and yes crack open the window so i have that cold air on my nose. You can get real warm real fast by sitting in front of the heater and on cold nights before bed, i either use the thermo or just hit the switch when it gets cold inside to keep things comfortable.  On a cold morning while the coffee water boils i turn on the heater to warm up the camper. Getting a WAVE heater is on my list of things to think about and  my arctic pack makes those real cold nights comfortabe and i use allot less propane. By the way, my dog lived for another  seven months and we spent  every moment of it WTW to her favorites places.  That help?

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

If I was in the present moment of buying a new pop up camper I would go with ATC. They have solid construction, great insulation value. They may not have the latest bling gadgets fancy ness , but I would take the product over those. To keep the interior warmer you need some type of available heaters or lots of people to warm up the camper. Control your heat loss through the windows and pop up siding will help reduce losses.

If you have a larger truck that can handle the weight of a Alaskan camper then you would have less heat loss compared to the canvas side of ATC OR FWC.

Sounds like you are buying for you but have others to please at the same time. If the others find it a struggle then you are not happy. You want everybody happy so you can get more use out of a major purchase. Walking on egg shells you are.

Edited by pvstoy, 25 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users