#1 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:07 PM

My wife recently returned to the states for a week to visit family. I had her bring back a couple of things for us that I ordered on Amazon. One of which was a 12volt heated mattress pad. After camping for a week in the Cordillera blanca between 12,000 and 15,000 feet I thought I would share a review here. The mattress pad is amazing. Kept us plenty warm in below freezing temperatures every night. We have a camco Olympian wave 3 as well and never had to use it. The mattress pad is a much more comfortable heat source as well. This is the one I got:
Twin, Heated Mattress Pad by Electrowarmth, Non-Fitted, Size 36 x 60, Model# T36 12V Used in Trucks, RVs, Campers
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#2 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:15 PM

How many amps does it draw sir? Did it draw your batteries down very fast?
Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

Kilroy,no big drain on the battery at all. There is 7 heat settings so it will use more amps the higher you crank it. I would set it on 4 or 5 about 20 minutes before going to bed, then turn it down to 2 cause we were so warm. Ran it up to 10 hours one night and the battery voltage was at 12.55 in the morning which is very acceptable. I should also mention the the mattress pad cycles on and off as it reaches the desired temperature set.
2003 FWC Eagle | 2003 Tundra | www.thenextadventures.com | www.facebook.com/thenextadventures | instagram@thenextadventures

#3 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:23 AM

Next, does the pad radiate heat into the cabin or just the bed area?

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:27 AM

After camping for a week in the Cordillera blanca

Just to be clear, we're talking Peru?

Edited by Lighthawk, 26 November 2014 - 04:28 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:35 AM

Yes Andy that would be Peru.  We did a trek in Peru in the Cordillera Huayhuash that is near Blanca.  You head out of the town of Huaraz.  Great trip! Think North of Lima.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#6 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

Just to be clear, we're talking Peru?

yes, Headed to Bolivia in the next week. We will be giving the mattress pad some heavy use with some extreme freezing temps at elevation there

#7 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

Next, does the pad radiate heat into the cabin or just the bed area?

I would say just the bed area. I would say some of the big advantages are:
1)No propane heat use at night. The propane creates a lot of water vapor which I can't stand and well the propane heat is just dangerous in an enclosed area.
2) besides staying toasty warm all night, you wake up warm so jumping out of bed into the cold morning air was actually quite nice.

#8 srileo

srileo

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:24 AM

Next adventures, what an excellent idea. We too are hesitant to use the propane heater at night, the heat goes too high and then drops off too low. 

Wondering if the mattress pad works with memory foam? is there a surface between the pad and your mattress so heat doesnt go down? we have memory foam and dont want it to melt under us ;-) 

BTW, what an awesome journey. Peru is the best. I was up there in the huaraz area on my motorcycle. Definitely the most memorable landscapes ever. 

#9 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:19 AM

Interesting, but I don't know anything about these.  Do you just lay your sleeping bag on top of it?

Another justification for the 200W of solar I'm looking to add.

(Jim - I'll send you some data from the weekend tomorrow)

Edited by DonC, 01 December 2014 - 05:20 AM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#10 The Next Adventures

The Next Adventures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

Next adventures, what an excellent idea. We too are hesitant to use the propane heater at night, the heat goes too high and then drops off too low. 
Wondering if the mattress pad works with memory foam? is there a surface between the pad and your mattress so heat doesnt go down? we have memory foam and dont want it to melt under us ;-) 

BTW, what an awesome journey. Peru is the best. I was up there in the huaraz area on my motorcycle. Definitely the most memorable landscapes ever.

Srileo, we sleep on Paco pads (jacks plastic welding). They are foam wrapped in PVC. We have a regular bed sheet over the pads. We lay the heated mattress pad over this and then lay a "Mexican blanket" over the heated mattress pad. We sleep on top the Mexican blanket. Don't know much about the resilience of memory foam but do not think it would be a problem. maybe check out the manufactures website. I had a presale question that they answered quickly.
Driving through the Andes mountains on your bike must have been amazing! We did a loop driving over the Andes into the amazonian side then back over again. Was the toughest roads I have drove yet with the four wheel camper. It survived in perfect condition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users