• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#21 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 02 December 2014 - 04:43 AM

Having 25 percent of the fittings holding the camper to my truck fail completely was enough to convince me to upgrade them. I used these.

Given the documented failures we've seen in just this thread, I could envision a scenario - say on a long, rough backcountry route - in which one turnbuckle broke unbeknownst to the driver, and the resultant loss of tension caused extra stress on the remaining three, and a potential cascade effect. Do I think it's likely? Absolutely not - but it's a possibility. In any case, having one break was all I needed to switch.

#22 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 795 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:06 AM

The tension on the Torklift Fast Gun Derringers is adjusted with the length of the j-bolts. After you adjust the length, you only have to tighten the lever. They stay at the same tension all the time. You do not want to over tighten, as it will stress the bed eye bolts as well as the eye bolts on the camper base. 

At first setting up the proper length is a timely process, but when done you mark what Fast Gun fits each corner, i.e. r/f l/f r/r l/r. Each unit has a pin that prevents them from opening. Like anything else, you can over or under tighten a turn buckle, as well as the Torklifts. Taking the time to properly adjust makes sure that no camper damage will happen. I had to remove j-hook from each unit and cut material off then install and see if I had a correct fit. But once done, no more worry. At this point, I would never go back to turnbuckles.

I am surprised that more people have not gone to this method of tie down. Alot of camper owners who have exterior tie downs, use the larger units from Torklift. As far as pounds of force, not sure. Just adjusted them to a point where I feel they are not allowing too much force being applied.

Edited by fish more, 02 December 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#23 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:20 PM

Having 25 percent of the fittings holding the camper to my truck fail completely was enough to convince me to upgrade them. I used these.

Given the documented failures we've seen in just this thread, I could envision a scenario - say on a long, rough backcountry route - in which one turnbuckle broke unbeknownst to the driver, and the resultant loss of tension caused extra stress on the remaining three, and a potential cascade effect. Do I think it's likely? Absolutely not - but it's a possibility. In any case, having one break was all I needed to switch.

Jonathan,  How are yours installed on your truck/camper?  Does the jaw end and pin attach to the camper and the eye to the truck bed?  How are you attaching the the turnbuckle eye to the eye bolt?  Which model number did you use?  Longhorn1

Edited by longhorn1, 02 December 2014 - 01:23 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#24 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

Longhorn, I should have been more specific. The model I used is here. On the closed end I used a suitably sized carabiner-style steel link to attach the turnbuckle to the truck. Installing them in the front of ours was a long, blind, curse-filled procedure.

#25 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:29 PM

Longhorn, I should have been more specific. The model I used is here. On the closed end I used a suitably sized carabiner-style steel link to attach the turnbuckle to the truck. Installing them in the front of ours was a long, blind, curse-filled procedure.

It is hard enough with the normal turnbuckles in our 2014 Grandby.  Numerous cuts on the back of my hands, sweat, and I agree some colorful language.  I now take the front dinette table and set it on the other side so I can move as far to the front as possible.  I wonder if it would be easy to install to the camper first and rig some string to keep them out of the way while loading and then attaching to the truck with the carabiner-style link.   I don't plan on a lot of rough road travel, so I will have to think about this.  I like the idea, and especially after reading all of the posts.  thanks for your quick response.  Longhorn1

#26 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Assuming you have one, have you tried putting your smartphone in selfie mode, laying it strategically on the truck bed and watching what your hand is doing with the turnbuckle on the phone display? The phone works better in poor light than does a small mirror.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#27 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

Assuming you have one, have you tried putting your smartphone in selfie mode, laying it strategically on the truck bed and watching what your hand is doing with the turnbuckle on the phone display? The phone works better in poor light than does a small mirror.

Paul

Nice idea.  May have to try it in the spring.

#28 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

Paul, that's a brilliant idea.

It would be easy to attach one end of each turnbuckle to the camper loops before you installed the camper, then tie them out of the way.

Edited by JHanson, 02 December 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#29 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

Jim,  I think I'm going to purchase the Crosby Turnbuckle E & J 5/16X4-1/2".  I found a Yoke Triple Lock Steel Carabiner - ANSI Z359.12 - 3600 LBS Gate Strength, Min Breaking Load of 5000 LBS.  That should be plenty strong.  I know when I picked up my camper Sean Dempsey said that the thread had to be in a certain direction, showed me and had me take the other 3 and tell him which side was up, and then he marked the upward end on each with an arrow.  You stated previously that the "Jaws" end is the up end that will attach to the camper, correct?

My idea with the string to hold them out of the way is one way.  A bungy cord could also be used by pulling the turnbuckles into the camper through the open turnbuckle door and using a 2' bungy to hold them in place while loading or off-loading.  Longhorn1

#30 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

What determines the upward side on the stock turnbuckles? This is the first I've heard of this, and mine have always stayed tight.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

You would ask me that.  Sean Dempsey said they had to be installed with the thread in a certain direction.  This side topic sounds like something that could use some in put from others.  Longhorn

Edited by longhorn1, 03 December 2014 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users