5 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

I've been meaning to either upgrade to a single larger gauge wire from the truck to the camper or just parallel another wire on back. Since I had smaller gauge wire I went with that. Rather than run it alongside the original wiring I decided to run it on the passenger side and since the truck has dual batteries that'd be pretty easy. So I did. I ran a hot and a ground both fused on each end. Overkill but I'll never have to worry about a short. Ran all the chafe points through a length of hose. I was happy, all was well and good. 

As I was cleaning up and putting away all my tools it suddenly dawned on me. I hadn't put in a disconnect at the camper /doh. I'll just have to do that later the next time I take off the camper. Assuming of course years from now I don't completely forget! I'll also have to remember if I ever need to isolate the truck or the camper for some reason.

Btw, it still runs through the switch if don't want it connected to the truck.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:11 AM

Just a warning about running parallel circuits. Not really a good idea especially if as you did the wire lengths are not the same.

It will work but not the optimum solution.

Dsrtrat

#3 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm not aware of any nuances with dissimilar length paralleled hot wires, but the same in ground wires is effectively a ground loop. Power currents won't care, but anything electronic may not like it at all.

https://en.wikipedia...p_(electricity)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

I have to admit much of that went right over my head. I took all my electronic equipment out to the camper, everything seems quite happy so I don't think that applies in my situation. My hot wire is only a couple feet shorter than the original, I doubt thats significant either.

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

Mine too if you're talking about the link. Posted it in case you were interested in knowing more about the phenomenon. Oh gawd, "phenomenon"....

sorry about that......

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Don't be sorry, you can link to Sandra Bullock any time you like!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users