• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Tommieboy

Tommieboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:01 PM

For those who are current owners of an XP product and have come from a FWC, ATC, Alaskan, Hallmark or similar type camper, what are the biggest changes you've noticed in terms of using and living in the XP? I'm aware of most of the structural and systems differences but I've never owned a TC so would be interested to hear real experiences of using the camper on the road. I'm in the market for a TC and will visit a few manufacturers in the new year.

The price difference between the XP and the other campers above is considerable, has it been worth the investment to you? What are the features that you value most in the XP? 

#2 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

I would love to hear about this too. I own a FWC but am considering a switch to XP or perhaps Alaskan. I've visted XP and seen their handy work first hand. It's pretty impressive.
I'm very excited about the V3 model. It just sounds like it is at least 1 year or more away from production.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:18 PM

If XP could come up with a cab pass-through I would be all over it. I may still "pull the trigger" in the future so will be following this thread with interest. (Right now I am in "waiting mode" and am remodeling my Hawk which I must admit has been absolutely bullet proof.)

Steve

Edited by Durango1, 30 November 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#4 Tommieboy

Tommieboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

I would love to hear about this too. I own a FWC but am considering a switch to XP or perhaps Alaskan. I've visted XP and seen their handy work first hand. It's pretty impressive.
I'm very excited about the V3 model. It just sounds like it is at least 1 year or more away from production.

Can you describe what have've learned about the V3 during your visit to the manufacturer? The only information I've been able to get is that it will be a slide in, similar interior space to the V1 (maybe a bit less) and a price point below $60K.

#5 Tommieboy

Tommieboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:04 PM

"If XP could come up with a cab pass-through I would be all over it..."

I thought that would be a deal breaker for me too but having read posts of some xp owners they say they wouldn't change given the choice. The idea of the unit being locked tight and inaccessible when the top is down is quite appealing. A bit more peace of mind for theft and break-in when going off for a hike or when you have to leave the unit unattended.  Also dust and dirt getting into the back would increase with a pass-through...maybe not if it's a good seal. 

#6 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:40 PM

Can you describe what have've learned about the V3 during your visit to the manufacturer? The only information I've been able to get is that it will be a slide in, similar interior space to the V1 (maybe a bit less) and a price point below $60K.

There is currently a V3 mockup that is essentially a wood model. There are pictures of it posted on the xp camper website.

http://xpcamper.com/...v3-coming-soon/

This is what Marc has to look at and what I saw.

It is a pretty neat set up. It is still a work in progress and I don't think anything is finalized just yet.

But here is what I know and could share with you about it.

It is similar in shape to the V2 but much larger. It would be much larger than my FWC Hawk.

The interior is quite different as well than the V2.

The interior is a front dinette model with a huge dinette. It could seat a total of four adults. The cab over bed is at least the size of a queen size bed and probably closer to king sized. The best comparison would be to the FWC Grandby front dinette as far as interior layout. The sink, stove, toilet/shower, fridge, and front dinette are in essentially the same locations.

Of course, it being an XP most things are much better and of course more expensive. My understanding is that it will have the same great diesel appliances, beautiful windows and skylight and look of the V1 or V2.

I was bothered originally with the V shaped design but after sitting in it for a while it makes more sense to me and I quite like it.

It is made for 1 ton short bed trucks. I don't think the original design will work on a long bed. It also will  hang over the back of the truck - it doesn't appear to be flush with the back of the truck.

What I would love for sure is the larger front dinette, the beautiful windows and skylight, fully insulated hard sided camper that actually pops up and that I wouldn't have to change trucks.

I also really appreciate Marc's craftsmanship which is hard to describe without seeing it first hand. He is really building something unique and different that anyone else.

I'm not sure anyone yet realizes, at least I didn't anyway, how neat it will be to have a hard sized pop up camper without any tent ends or fabric. With an Alaskan you have to pop out the hard sides on the cabover that may not seal perfectly. My FWC of course has lots of tent end fabric to pop up. Even the V1 has a tent end to it.

This thing will be amazing in cold weather - which is great for me.

What I didn't like about it?

It's not a V1. There isn't as much storage. The water tank will probably be smaller. I'm not a big fan of the camper hanging off the back of the truck.

But the layout is probably better for my family anyway in the V3. And it's way nicer than my current setup.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:56 PM

Will be interesting to see a V3 when it is done. The V1 would be great for a trip to South America, but just too big for the way I camp. I did look at the V2 felt way smaller than my Hawk. Now if the V3 does not cost more than a new truck.

#8 Tommieboy

Tommieboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:33 PM

DrJ, thanks for the description of the V3. I don't think I would be a big fan of an overhang on the end, a flush finish looks much cleaner in my opinion. Maybe that will change. Hard sides is a big plus though. Hopefully some specs will be released by XP in the New Year.

#9 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:52 AM

I'm probably one of only two people on the planet that made the transition from a FWC to a XPC. I sold a Grandby when I bought the XPC. While I no longer own the XP I may be able to address your questions. The thing that most impressed me was the amount of storage, I had space I never used, That and the roominess of the camper. It compared to a motorhome on the inside. Yet when lowered its profile was not a whole lot bigger then my Grandby.
The diesel appliances are the only way to go. They spoiled me and I don't know if I can go back to propain (pun intended). The heater is quieter then the one in my home. And the stove and water heater are very efficient. The amount of fuel used is ridiculously low and is easy to find anywhere. Another nice feature is the Foli bed springs, I'm sorry but I can't go back to a foam pad on plywood. One thing I never got used to, was how really nice the total package is. To me it felt very luxurious.

As far as the price difference, well you get what you pay for. The FWC is a simple inexpensive camper were as the XPC is a well appointed comfortable efficient expedition camper. Would I buy another? Yes, If I was going to do a lot of overland traveling, however for reasons I won't go into my plans had changed.
The other FWC to XPC that I know of goes by nothing clever on here as well as on ExPo. Look up his posts for a better insight to the transition. Also go to the XPCamper Enthusiast forum owners blog and check out;roaminrobertsons blog Maybelost.Net. They are the folks that bought my XPC and they also post on ExPo. I hope this helps.

Mike

#10 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:01 AM

And don't forget Marc on this forum, he went from a Cougar to an XP. I spent some time in his camper and luxurious would be a proper description compared to our FWC/ATC's.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users